HybridZ

welding aluminum

rubin

Roosty, you got plans for that trailer anywhere? I could probably knock that out in a weekend, and it would make my life considerably easier.

I could then concentrate monies on a 'real' enclosed trailer for weekend and week-long outings, with that little gem of yours for daily transport duties.

With what I spend on U-Hauls (even at the 'preferred renter rate of $35 Daily for the Auto-Transport) I could have bought a damn trailer, but I LIKE yours much better than anything I see for sale locally!

Last year I built a car Z car carrier and hemmed and hawed over steel or alum.After weighing it all out, I went with steel.I call it a Z car carrier because its only rated for a 2600lb vehicle. I used steel for the structure and alum for the ramps ( and the bling ).Total weight for the traler came to 910lbs.This basic design can easily be used for a bike trailer.

GalloWinery132.jpg

you got the plans for that thing, my 2000 lb galvanized beast is a bit heavy and high for my liking,a single axle dovetail would be awesome and my car only weighs 2105 anyhow

Some perty nice work yall did there. I think I like it... could ya share that basic materials used? i.e. tube sizes, wall thickness,length width etc? That would be nice. It looks like 4x4 or 3x4 square tube around the perimeter maybe 1/8" wall or 3/16". Under the ramps not sure,,, covered with plate.

How much did the materials run? I'm betting the diamond plate adds up quick.

Tanks

Last year I built a car Z car carrier and hemmed and hawed over steel or alum.After weighing it all out, I went with steel.I call it a Z car carrier because its only rated for a 2600lb vehicle. I used steel for the structure and alum for the ramps ( and the bling ).Total weight for the traler came to 910lbs.This basic design can easily be used for a bike trailer.

GalloWinery132.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

question, how would one figure out the tow rating of a custom built trailer such as this new "z trailer".

nice work btw.

and yah, i Dont think that first concept for the bike trailer is safe.

it might work, but i dont think the mounting bar is thick enough, and i figure with 3 bikes on there, it could get a little wobbley if it's not boxed in with the same thickness all the way around.