HybridZ

coolant leak

I've got a coolant leak that is dripping one drop at a time onto the passenger header pipe. I can hear is sizzle as it hits the exhaust, about 2 per second. It seemed to be running down the bellhousing and collects in a very small pool on the tranny pan lip. I checked the heads, intake gasket and plugs, heater hoses, heater core, and nothing seems to be leaking. There is no water in the oil and vise-versa. I don't think it could be a freeze plug. I am obviously overlooking something, but I am just stumped.

Go to Pepboys and buy a little vial of that ultraviolet coolant dye they have. You may have to ask the service department for it. I used to work there we had tons of the stuff. Add the dye to your coolant system, get a black light bulb and put it in your drop light and shine the light all around the engine while running. You should find the leak in no time. Good luck!

I had a super slow coolant leak on my Z that took years to track down. I had no visible trail of coolant, just needed to top off periodically. Finally I put a vial of green food coloring in the radiator and wrapped white paper towels all around the head gasket. When the paper towels at the back of the head turned green, I knew I had a head gasket that was letting vapor/steam out that just evaporated.

At any rate a tube of stop leak fixed the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ran it at idle for about 1/2 hour, and the leak just kinda when away, as far as I can tell. It didn't smell like buring coolant, and I couldn't hear it hitting the exhaust. I'll go get some dye tomarrow to be sure.

Seann

• 2 weeks later...

if you have a small block chevy. im thinking the side of the head where the temp sender goes or the plug on the other side . you should use plummers tape on them to keep them from seeping through the treads. . let see, an intake manifold leak at the water port could run down that way. oh never use stop leak it will plug up the radator over time. find and fix the leak correctly is the only way. check the head gasket too. Do you have access to a pressure tester? pressurize the system to 16 lbs then start looking. or if not get it hot driving then check it after you turn it off during the heat soaking phase. thats when it goes up a good 20 degress or so when you turn off the engine. one more did you put sealer on the head bolts. coolant can come up the head bolt threads also. alot of people dont know about that. ive had to do a few of those over the years.