HybridZ

Camber Plates Required with Adjustable Control Arms?

If adjustable front and rear control arms are installed, are camber plates really required? I understand that you will have more camber adjustment range with camber plates also, but can't the control arms give you the maximum negative camber you could possibly need?

IMO the rear control arms are the most important as you can adjust rear toe as well as camber.

For my next project car I'm thinking camber plates and adjustable TC rods in front, and adjustable control arms in the rear.

Any feedback welcome.

Nope. Although the added adjustability is nice, it isn't required. Rear control arms with ability to adjust toe are great... Also, the front arms might extend to the limits of camber, but beware pushing the arm so far that you run out of thread on your tie rod.

Mike

If adjustable front and rear control arms are installed, are camber plates really required? I understand that you will have more camber adjustment range with camber plates also, but can't the control arms give you the maximum negative camber you could possibly need?

I would say it depends on what you intend to do with the car. If this is just a street car adjustable lowers will get you in the ballpark. If this is a more serious endeaver then I'd recommend adjustable uppers.

If you use a two piece camber plate design you can use this to help square the car. I've seen a lot of Zs that aren't that square, which isn't to surprising given their age. Squaring my car was a pain in the ass but really helped make it drive better and stopped the turns great left not so great right syndrome.

And two of the most adjusted things for a track car are going to be air pressure and camber. It's much easier to adjust camber at the top with a lot less interaction with toe than if you adjust at the bottom. I'd also through in some adjustable swaybars and coilovers and now you have 90 percent of adjustability covered.

Cary