HybridZ

N/A RB Engine Management

Careless

Any recomendations for an RB motor with N/A setup.

I'm going to be building an ITB RB30, possibly over the summer, since financials seem to be working quite well.

Any recommendations? I'd like to have the option/opportunity to move over to a turbo setup, should I not feel satisfied with the ITB3.0, so the capability to items and retain the same functionality would be ideal.

Raff

I'd say go MsNs but, I have absolutely no info on that AND I'm no expert in programable ECUs.

Or, check this out.http://cgi.ebay.ca/Apexi-Power-FC-PFC-Nissan-Skyline-GTS-T-ECR33-RB25DET_W0QQitemZ290073096978QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Administrators

MSnS-e is fun, powerful, and totally capable, (I ran it on my L-28 powered F-prepared 240-Z), but for a plug and play set up, WOLF is very much RB SAVVY and offers plug and play for the RB’s which simplifies the conversion considerably with a high quality EMS with room for future growth, i.e. turbos, Nitrous, Super charger, etc…

Here is a little bit on the WOLF V500, Haltech, and AEM EMS…

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117313

…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi again.

im trying to decide what i want to do here.

I have an RB30 block on the rise... it's in the middle of price discussion and additional required parts. but it will be here come april for sure, possibly sooner.

now, I want to make this an N/A RB30, with ITB's, perhaps even a 26 head instead of a 25. I'd go for some high comp pistons, and later down the line, i'd order some nice beefy rods. But that's probably when i change over to turbo when I'm not happy. or even for a future project down the line.

so now, my questions is.

lets say I have ITB's. with Vstacks on them. with any of the EMS systems, do I have to run a static map without any dynamic enrichment functionality for temperature fluctuations for intake air?

or is it possible and somewhat reliable to run like 3 intake air temp sensors, one for every 2 cylinders, and use a averaging circuit before the EMS so that it reads evenly across the board?

is there any other way of making this happen with an open plenum, rather than a closed one.

some say use lexan or plexi to make a little box, But the reason for doing this is actually by design, as well as function.

I'm gong to be cutting a slot in the side of the hood bump so that vstack rims JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST peek through the hood.

I'd like to keep comments about my decision regarding the look at a minimum. If you want me to explain, i'll do it in short:

I do car photography here and there. One thing that intrigues me is attn to detail, and I want this detail, and to have it work nicely is a bonus.

again, hear me out. I'm not asking for opinions on why i should do this... im only asking for opinions on how i could get something of this detail or look to work.

without going carb, that is.

all help regarding the using dynamically adjustable maps and such through use of sensors is what im looking for here. I'm sure theres a way around it, without having to run static maps and testing for air temp with an external gadget, and adjusting a manual enrichment before going out for a drive.

that would work, but it would suck ballz.

also, how does one solve air flow or manifold pressure for a setup like this with an open air config, verses a closed plenum.

hey it's Q,

as far as manifold pressure is concerned do we not experience the same problems with an intake manifold? That is why we measure the manifold pressure after the ITBs - across a balace tube - also where we take vacuum for things like BOV and brakes.

Temperature is a bit of an issue - however since you are using atmosphere - through velocity stacks - i would suggest that the temperature is the ambient air temperature - and can me measured anywhere. I would not see the advantage of averaging.

As far as stand alone systems go we all have our own opinion. I have tried to work with a Wolf system on an L28 and found it challenging - likely lack of experience. I went MicroTech for its compatability with the nissan sensors, sequential spark (no lost spark), and injector control. Along with integrated wideband. MicroTech is not without it's own challenges - but I find my car works well with the LT12S.

hey it's Q,

as far as manifold pressure is concerned do we not experience the same problems with an intake manifold? That is why we measure the manifold pressure after the ITBs - across a balace tube - also where we take vacuum for things like BOV and brakes.

Temperature is a bit of an issue - however since you are using atmosphere - through velocity stacks - i would suggest that the temperature is the ambient air temperature - and can me measured anywhere. I would not see the advantage of averaging.

As far as stand alone systems go we all have our own opinion. I have tried to work with a Wolf system on an L28 and found it challenging - likely lack of experience. I went MicroTech for its compatability with the nissan sensors, sequential spark (no lost spark), and injector control. Along with integrated wideband. MicroTech is not without it's own challenges - but I find my car works well with the LT12S.

thanks Q :)

i didn't get your message cause i wasn't in, but i'd imagine this is what it was going to be about.

what problems did you run into with the Wolf3D system? isn't the v500 compatible with all RB sensors and gadgetry?, there is a plugnplay kit on the wolf website

I don't know if this might interest you, but I have a pre-programmed Wolf EMS that I had originally planned to use on an RB30 build myself. It's looking like I probably won't be using it. It's a plug and play and comes with an RB26 harness already set. It came off an R33 with cams and 700cc injectors. If you're interested let me know.

Brian

I don't know if this might interest you, but I have a pre-programmed Wolf EMS that I had originally planned to use on an RB30 build myself. It's looking like I probably won't be using it. It's a plug and play and comes with an RB26 harness already set. It came off an R33 with cams and 700cc injectors. If you're interested let me know.

Brian

Hey Brian,

thanks for the offer, I'll let you know in the following month or so on what I will be doing. I'm planning to get some parts so that when he weather gets fun, I can do some work on the car as much as possible.

can you let us know what has been done to the wolf3D to get it to work on the RB30 build? will it work with an R32 head?

let us know what's involved in getting this to work, this thread could be useful to others too.

while we're discussing RB30's, I'd like to know how the RB31DE that you have is fairing... hows the response of the engine compared to other 3 litre N/A engines and such.

any pointers you can give on the engine dynamics itself, versus the regular turbo engines would be ideal.

I'd be hard pressed to squeeze 300 flywheel horsepower out of this thing, without dropping an additional 5 to 10 grand on the engine once it's been converted to a Dually cam, right?

the general consensus amongst user on some calais boards is that for 10 grand of upgrades, done by a shop who is pretty comfortable with RB30's, you'd get around 260 hp.. I dunno if that's right. I mean... 3.0 litres out of an inline 6 should give you mad torque and with the higher flowing head than the L28, i'd assume that an L30 would be about 10 - 20% less powerful than a similarily built RB30/31DE.

im looking to go with a high compression. 10.5 or 11:1. higher if i decide this car is going to be babied and rarely driven. we'll see how it goes.

anything you can warn me about or anyone else, before someone attempts a project like this would be helpful.

or else I'm just gonna have to do that myself (which i was going to do anyways) and document it and host it on my upcoming website.

=)