HybridZ

vg build up, budget project

NorthWestZ31

so in the near future im going to be buying and building a vg33et. this being my first build ill probably need some help, and ive heard alot of good stuff about this page. i want to use some of the bolt on parts off of my current motor which is a vg30e if they are better than the vg33. also does the head on a vg30 flow better than the 33?? i got the head idea from the honda guys who put the b16 head on the b18 for there ls-vtec since the b16 head flows much better then the 18 head they get a pretty good power increase. just wondering if you can do the same with nissan vg motors. and other stuff like that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much so that the B16 head flows really better than the B18's it's more related to the fact that VTEC will let the engine breath better at high revs.

For the :?: you asked, I can't really help as I have no experience whatsoever with these engines so, I'll let the V6 guys shim in here.

I agree with mtcookson, I learned a lot from that website, but Jason (the owner of that site) says something on there that is very true and contradictory to your goal, there isn't a true ''budget'' way to build this motor and have it be reliable. the way he put it, I believe, is ''if you want to just buy a lot of parts to make it fast, sell it and buy a honda.'' you have to plan, pay, and search to make a strong motor out of the vg motors. there will always be cheaper options, but that route won't be as reliable as spending the money the first time around. good luck on your build.

that would take to much time and work. i want something pretty simple. so im thinking about rebuilding my N/A and throwing a turbo on it and runing 6-8lbs of boost. that should be plunty for now. there are alot of other things i want to do to my car like put s13 suspention on it (unless i can find the jic magic or cusco coilovers for a good price) and convert to all black interrior with some new gauges in the dash, cheap racing seats off of ebay, a cheap racing steering wheel, i want a nice looking car for the shows this summer. also wheels and tires.

check out these guys for your coilover needs

click

i had a set on my old 84 turbo s12 and i loved em. i just bought a set for the front and rear of my SE s12 (the one thats in the middle of a sbf install posted in the ford v8 section)

oh yea, they do make coilovers for the rear..its a special order so you have to call and ask for them. its not listed on the site. fyi, the s12 (turbo and VG model only) share the same rear end as a z31. i think my front and rear set cost me 430ish shipped included CA sale tax and shipping. they come with eibach springs with the rating of your choice :)

Read up about the VG and learn what it can do, namely http://www.vg30et.com and http://www.redz31.com/turbofaq/turbo.faq.htm

It's no fun just throwing in a V8 and calling it a day in my opinion, especially when the VG is more than capable of making BIG power. Do some research and decide for yourself...

dude...ive owned plenty of VG's, worked on them, done enough rebuilds, driven them hard and am fully aware of what they're capable of. i still have my Z and after im done with this im puting teh vg30er into it. read up on the S12 and how near impossible it is to put a vg30et in it unless you want to remote mount the turbo or push teh motor WAAAY forward...its JUST as easy to put in a V8 at that point. and this is not a hard swap to be honest..actually a relatively fun and easy one. and i can say that old skool pushrod V8's are a lot easier to work on then a single cam VG. hell, i can strip one down and put it back together faster then i can just strip down a VG..at any rate, im very aware of the potential of a VG..after im done with this project im putting my work back into the Z :)

i agree tho, if you already have a vg30et...stick with it! its a great motor and relatively hard to kill, just way tight to work on in some places if your as tall as i am and have big hands lol

and for coilovers ive read that only two companys make coilovers for a z31, and that was jic magic and cusco. (im not counting cheap ebay ones) ive heard good things about ground controll and i didnt know they made coilovers for my car. ill give there page a look and see what i can find.

here's my V8 swap thread into my s12. i was looking at the UPS tracking thing last night and it looks like my coilovers will be in today. ill post pics of the install on that thread. also, im not to sure on the Z31's but i know that alot of s12 buts swap out to the s13 coilover setup. i believe it involves swapping the strut/coilover assy, hubs and tie rod ends.. ive never done it tho so i have no idea.

Guest TeamNissan
then those people have no imaginations, or don't know how to make new motor mounts.

agreed lol

If your going to rebuild your n/a and put a turbo on it why not just buy a low milage turbo motor, replace the bearings, rings, oil and water pump plus w/e seals you can drop it in with the new harness, ic, cheap boost controller and call it a day? Its like a 800$ project if you look hard enough and no real mods needed. Idk its just mo

You could turn it into a 200zr too for almost the same amount lol. Also bolts right in.