HybridZ

On The Road Again!

BOR.jpg

Never thought this day was going to come, but that shot was taken TODAY in my driveway AFTER a 100-mile test drive. 100 miles, a couple of 3# test launches on the t-brake and would'nt you know it, a street race and no parts fell off icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif . I was real nervous because yesterday I got a couple of signs that was like someone/something not wanting this thing to go. Car refused to start despite the fact that the hood was not even opened since I last drove it 2 weeks ago. You have heard me preach about hot-wiring the pump and using the OEM wire to trigger the relay. Well, the OEM wire decided it was not going to be hot during crank anymore icon_confused.gif . Got prepared to go chasing cam and crank sensors, testing the E-PROM and pulling my hair out. Found the problem when a buddy came over to help and noticed the FP would drop during cranking and shoot back up when I stop cranking. Got the car started and hooked up the laptop and it refused to boot because it decided it did not have a C: drive anymore!! Fate. Was I being given a sign?

By this time it was too late to catch the alignment shop so I went for a ride knowing the alignment was off. I am hearing a bearing noise but then I still have those two big holes in the fenderwell and I can hear EVERYTHING, sort of like to the race car driver leading the race on the last lap icon_biggrin.gif . No problem, I can deal with a bearing noise later. If it is the diff, I can pull the entire IRS out in about 30 mins. Got lots of practice. Not too far from home, so I do not have a long walk back icon_biggrin.gif , I try a 3# launch on the t-brake w/o full throttle and backed out when the car started to fill with tire smoke. Straight as an arrow and SMOOOTH! I am basking in my glory when a '02 Z-28 pulls up next to me at the light and decides to take on this ricer from a roll. He did not even notice the Z-28 wheels but I am sure he knew he was in trouble when the tires (255/50-16 Firehawk ZRs) started spinning from a roll. 10 car lengths before he knew what happened and I look down at the boost gauge and see 12+psi. Forgot I had turned the boost way down with the pump gas. Sounds about right. Z-28, mid-14s, me on 12psi, mid-12s. Another 13psi boost, 6* more timing and race gas, hmmm.

Needless to say, I am pumped. This has been one massive challenge and even though I have not hit the strip yet, I feel good about what I accomplished so far. The last holdup was fixing the toe-rod problem. I could not find anyone that had a taper rod with the taper angle to fit the IRS, so I made my own. Here is a pic of the finsished product and the adjustable end installed in the car. I ended up drilling out the tapered hole to 7/8" and inserted a 5/8" id bushing (7/8" od) and used a 5/8" bolt in place of the tapered rod. By rearranging the position of the bushing, I can change the angle of the rods and affect bumpsteer. You can also see how I mounted the coilovers and the homemade bumpstop.

toe-rod-new.jpg

toe-rod-end.jpg

It is going to be a wonderful year.

YES! I'm going to be down in Cocoa late next month - let's hook up! I cannot wait to see a 10sec timeslip out of that puppy. When do you think you'll hit the track? Mentioned to a few folks here that you were running 11.1's shifting into OD at th e1/8th mark and that a rear change would put you into the 10s. These guys DOUBTED me, I'm going to roll laughing when you do it! I cannot imagine anything holding you back from a 10 except maybe sand in the fuel filter icon_wink.gif

Hrm, got something for that Supra now maybe? icon_biggrin.gif Shoot some video, this is going to be awesome!

Well Done Scottie!

I have been impressed with your dedication, and even more with your engineering abilities.

You, along with a number of others here have been an inspiration to any number of members of this forum, and I would like to take this chance to thank all of you collectively for your willingness to share your experience, knowledge and humor.

Everyone - and you know who you are - THANKS!

Now Scottie, just another little thing to go w/that new rear...

WE NEED MORE POWER! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Guys.

BLKMGK, track reopens 1/16 and I should be there but first visit will be trying to get things dialed in. As for the Supra(s), those guys seem to be growing $1K bills in their backyard. Couple of weeks ago, one of them went 10.53 @ 139 which is about 775RWHP. I later heard it dynoed at 801!!! I would need a 10.40 to be competitive and ironically, all it would take is heads, mild cam and a turbo upgrade to get me in the low-10s. I just might have to put a BFH to one of my little piggies.

Brad, this is what this great forum is all about.

It's great to see you got it all back together, even if you did have some spare parts left over. icon_rolleyes.gif

I am begging to atleast see you fly by me in this monster when I come down there. I had been excited about just seeing your Z up on stands, but now I get to see it actually roll down the street with a big cloud billowing out the back end? I can't stand it!

As always, a master piece.

I'll try to get a vid cam for some filming while I'm down there. Just another addition to the burnout vids I've been seeing lately icon_razz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Very well said Brad-ManQ45, and I quote

"Well Done Scottie!

I have been impressed with your dedication, and even more with your engineering abilities.

You, along with a number of others here have been an inspiration to any number of members of this forum, and I would like to take this chance to thank all of you collectively for your willingness to share your experience, knowledge and humor.

Everyone - and you know who you are - THANKS!"

Guest Anonymous

Most excellent Scottie. I knew it would be though, your engineering talents are obvious as the install is beautiful. Lucky for that camaro you didn't have the boost up, or he would have never seen the rear end of the car through all the smoke. icon_biggrin.gif

Good job,

Lone