HybridZ

boost only under load

colerongo

is it normal that the vac/boost gauge in my l28et only shows boost while im driving. if i rev the engine while im parked it only climbs to 0 psi. but when im driving it climbs smoothly to 13 psi and holds there until i shift. just seems like the turbo should be spooling no matter what. what could cause this behavior?

Try a Corvair---no boost in first or till above 3500 in second gear!

You won't get full boost till third under WOT conditions...

If you don't have a standalone that can anti-lag or give some spark retard different than the stock map, that is all you will get.

With a standalone, you can easily get full boost off-idle with enough retard and fuel...basically turning the turbine section into a gas-turbine instead of waste-recovery turbine.

I get 12 psi by 2600 rpm, according to the guy who did my tuning that is really fast.

So, more spark retard and more fuel? I assume that this is really bad for my turbo and exhaust?

SDS mentioned in the manual that alot of spark retard and extra fuel at the lowest map value would give it basic anti-lag. But would destroy turbos.

So, more spark retard and more fuel? I assume that this is really bad for my turbo and exhaust?

SDS mentioned in the manual that alot of spark retard and extra fuel at the lowest map value would give it basic anti-lag. But would destroy turbos.

Absolutely! I could get 15psi+ at 1500rpm flatfooted at the line, using a button to give full predetermined spark retard. Launch under full boost.

Exhaust turbine will melt.

You blow holes in the hot-side scroll because of pressure buildup in a melting-hot glowing red/white/yellow turbine housing.

Not for the meek of heart. But if you have hook, and can take off out of the hole hard, it's not like launching any normal turbo car!

Exhaust should make a difference past the headpipe---as long as you're stainless steel.

On my .43A/R housing, I would get 17psi at 1700 rpm if I floored it in any gear. I would get 10psi off-idle! But that was not due to retard and fuel, that was just a small A/R...that thing was 'all in' at 5500rpm. No reason to rev past 6000. Acted more like a Supercharged car, than a Turbocharged car. When I had that car dynoed, the guy had it on a Clayton In-Ground unit and was cruising at 60mph in fourth gear. He put a load on the engine, and the boost went WHAM! Straight to 17psi and the clutch went "poof" instantaneously. Dyno operator said "Sorry about your clutch, I've never seen a turbo come on that hard before!" LOL