HybridZ

Late Model Turbo Distributor Pics?

Lurch2461

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out?

I have a dilemma in that I'm trying to work out what model distributor I have.

I don't have the CAS mounted on the block, but also don't have what I would think to be the CAS on the distributor (black plastic box).

I can't see the part number without removing it from the car and I don't particularly want to disturb it right now.

I have a spare (out of L20et) that has a round 4 pin plug on it and I guess it's an early model (81) as an 81 CAS went on ebay recently and that had a lead with a similar plug on the end.

Does anyone have pictures of the 82/83 280ZX Turbo distributor, and the part number for referrence.

Cheers, D

If you pull the cap off you will find one of four possible interiors which do not change:

"Spiky Ringed Wheel" = Conventional Dissy, with "Black Box" on the exterior (or simply some wires if it's a 260/280Z)

"Nothing"= 81 ET dissy, needs the Airconditioner Bracket Mounted CAS unit for the ECU to function, it's only function is purely to DISTRIBUTE the spark.

"Chromate Cap with small screws"= 83/82 CAS Dissy Assy.

"Points and Rubbing Block"= RUN AWAY RUN AWAY RUN AWAY! Discard and replace with Lumenition, Perlux, or whatever you want but get rid of mechanical breaker points!

That's all you need to do for the quick check. No need to remove the chromated cover---if it's in there, it's a CAS. If it's just the diecast bottom of the dissy, it's somewhere other (81)

If you pull the cap off you will find one of four possible interiors which do not change:

"Spiky Ringed Wheel" = Conventional Dissy, with "Black Box" on the exterior (or simply some wires if it's a 260/280Z)

"Nothing"= 81 ET dissy, needs the Airconditioner Bracket Mounted CAS unit for the ECU to function, it's only function is purely to DISTRIBUTE the spark.

"Chromate Cap with small screws"= 83/82 CAS Dissy Assy.

"Points and Rubbing Block"= RUN AWAY RUN AWAY RUN AWAY! Discard and replace with Lumenition, Perlux, or whatever you want but get rid of mechanical breaker points!

That's all you need to do for the quick check. No need to remove the chromated cover---if it's in there, it's a CAS. If it's just the diecast bottom of the dissy, it's somewhere other (81)

Thanks Tony D,

But this is what I have.

The first pic shows what's under the cap, the rotor button is held on by a small screw as is the cap.

Second shows what's under the plate and third refers to a white plug. This is what is on the the dissy in the car, but I guess the leads are just swapped over (round plug lead for white square plug) eh!

Please tell me what I have got.

And the lead with the white square plug on it? Does this come in any 280ZX Turbo's, as it might be worth having a spare if it can be acquired.

Thanks, D

P1270064_thumb.JPG

P1270065_thumb.JPG

P1270066_thumb.JPG

If you want to get a 'better' connector, find yourself a VG30. The connector in the bottom of their distributor is identical to the one in the one you have. The connector on the end where yours is white (ours is a round four pronger) is a grey weatherpack connector. if you 'harvest' both connectors from the VG engine (Turbo or N/A) on the 'grey' end, you will have a connector that is much more waterproof, and is easier to attach and separate.

But yeah, that's a "Late" optical trigger CAS. 82/83

Cheers!

Actually, thinking about this, I would much rather have that white plug than the round plug we got!