HybridZ

R-200 advise

Jay Hitchcock

I'm in the final stages of the build on my Z and I believe that I've hit a SNAG. I converted the car to five lug stub axels..modern motorsport chromoly, got CV companion flanges, CV half-shafts and an R-200 diff out of a 81 280zx turbo. I have been reading alot of these threads and unless I'm mistaken, my diff is OPEN! I plan on some hardcore autocrossing and I need alot of traction. I have been considering the Quiafe ATB set-up..It sounds like what I will need for the output of this engine. Keep in mind I have done all of this due to the destruction of my original R-180. I could really use some help before I proceed. Thanks

Check E-bay for the OBX diff, it's a knock-off of the Quaïf and it's around $380, it's been reported as a good unit with sloppy assembly and cheap Belleville springs.

You can buy the springs for really cheap at Mcmaster and you only need to reassemble it correctly.

Man, that is alot of info to sift through. So basically I can buy the knock-off with substandard metal that may or may not fuse to my axels, will most likely work fine IF it even works with my early housing, and all of which is not under warranty. Or I can go with the Quaife unit which seems to be almost bullet proof. I'm not exactly buildind a 200 hp, riced out, drag race on the weekend Honda! I called my local Nissan dealer and it turns out that main bearings and seals can't even be ordered for the diff. So if I went directly through the company to save some cash I won't be able to install it properly. Modern Motorsports sells a complete install for about 2 grand..it seems a bit pricey, but they install new bearings and seals and stand behind the work. Has anybody tried this option? I need help..big time!

If you are looking for something ready to go, I still have my brand new Kaaz LSD. It has not even been broken in yet. It's a 3.9 R200 with a Nissan Motorsports finned cover. Brand new bearings, bolts, and seals were installed. I'm asking $1200 shipped. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Brian

^^^ Yeah... Had I not already made a deal for a new PB, I'd seriously consider this. The only thing that would stop me is the 3.9 ratio... I want a 3.36 or 3.15.

HEY! You guys are like loins circling a carcass. Give me a shot. I work out in a hangar I can't be by the computer very much. Akwikz...that sounds like a great deal. My current gear is already 3.9 so that would work. Email me so we can talk... jayshotrods@yahoo.com. Thanks alot guys for your help! I've got to get this car on the road.