HybridZ

Emissions removal?

datsun280zx81

That would be nice =] Hopefully when they come over they know more than me. Does this mean you are volunteering?

All joking aside, your going to have to put a little effort into this. The information doesn't exist in the manner you are asking for it. The link that was provided has some good information regarding removing smog equipment, read it and learn. Get the manual and study it as well. Do your research and make your own informed decision as to what you want to remove and what you want to leave alone. Understand the purpose of the item and the pro's and con's of removing it before you do anything. Also the laws are different in certain states regarding tampering with somg equipment, so you should be informed regarding those laws as well.

I live in Florida but I am pretty sure it is the same everywhere that when a vehicle becomes a classic then it is exempt from emissions laws. I just figured that maybe somewhere there was a how to or a diagram that pointed it out that way I didn't have to waste a lot of time. I have a haynes manual so I guess I will just have to study it and then write my own thread on it.

Read this link:

http://autos.yahoo.com/owning/maintain/repairqa/qa.html?question=ques081&category=Exhaust+%26+Muffler&topics=qaemmiss%01qamuffle

Here are a couple of excerpts:

WARNING: Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device.

The federal anti-tampering law does not, however, apply to race cars that are not operated on the street, other full-time off-road vehicles, show cars that are not street driven, or vehicles not factory equipped with emission controls (most 1967 and earlier vehicles). So that exempts all antique cars, and most classic cars and muscle cars.

Yes, Bartman put up what I was going to: FEDERAL law trumps state law on this point. Removing any emissions components is illegal. So is inactivating them.

And yes, the Feds do occasionally check in various places around the USA. Last place I knew of was a DOT compliance check down in SanDiego. Believe it or not, they were actually busting people for E-Code Headlights...

They have done it on the east coast as well.

Anyway, why bother? They are all inactive under WOT anyway. They do not affect performance in any significant way.

Thanks for the info. I was just doing it to clean up the engine a bit. When I had my turbo swap done I found out that they weren't even connected all the way. There is a strong smell of fuel and exhaust comming from the engine bay and I am trying to eliminate it. Yesterday when I removed and sealed the EGR spot I followed the hose down to a piping rail and out the other end were five open pipes not going to anything. That's the same piping that the AAC was hooked up to.