HybridZ

VG30ET - VG30DETT - Trans swapping

Doug71zt

exact same but the starters bolt differently depending on where you get your vg from. If its from a z31 or an s12 you should be just fine but if its from a pikcup or maxima I believe bolt differently. Also, the vg30dett transmission bellhousings are slightly larger, same bolt pattern just larger to accomodate for the bigger flywheel. You WILL have to run a vg30de n/a flywheel for this to work properly because of the larger size to the tt flywheel. You could probly get away with grinding some material on the inside of the bellhousing to tclear the flywheel if you must run the tt fly. peace.

You can't use a VG30DE flywheel as they are 8 bolt versus the VG30E(T)'s 6 bolt. The later Z31 Turbos used a 250 mm clutch/flywheel setup while the rest used a 240 mm (not sure about the trucks though). The N/A Z32 uses a 240 mm setup while the TT uses a 250 mm.

On the TT bell housing, the inside of it is slightly large to accept the 250 mm clutch setup. The starter mounting surface is also slightly different for the start to engage properly. Other than that, the N/A and TT tranny are identical internally. I believe some people have just shaved a few spots on the N/A bell housing and used a spacer for the TT clutch setup, but I'm not 100% sure.

Its odd but in your first post it seemed as though you were trying to bolt up a vgdual cam to a z31 transmission. I am curious about getting an fs5r30a from a 2wd nissan v6 and seeing if ti would bolt in better than the z31's. All the truck transmissions are about two inches shorter than their car counterparts. I bet I would still have to get the driveshaft shortened using an l to vg adapter, huh? Are you still running a stock bottom end like your sig is saying for this new setup, or did you build a new engine to go with the new drivetrain? peace.

I am building a 3.0 stroker with forged pistons and a built head. The big thing is the change to a ceramic clutch and ET streets. There is no way that a L or KA series tranny will take that at the strip.

The truck trannies are an option, but the gear ratios are different and I'm not sure about how the shifter will line up with the S30 body. The Z31 tranny that I am going to use is identical to the RB25DET tranny, except with a mechanical speedo drive. The shifter will line up better than the Z32 unit. I am building a driveshaft using Dana/Spicer 1310 series ujoint yokes. The L series adapter doesn't change the length of the tranny at all, as you machine the bellhousing to fit the adapter flush. That way the input shaft and everything else works fine. Mazworks in FLA builds the adapter, but the quote that I got from them was $450. A little steepish for what it is.

Cheers

Doug

The NA Z31 transmissions are the same as the 240SX transmissions. Just a different bell housing. They've been known to hold 400+ hp in daily drivers.

They have also been known to explode behind the L-series around 350-400 hp. The L-series typically makes more torque than HP, different than the KA or V6 engines. The 400 ft/lbs at 4500 rpm is what kills these trannies.

Cheers

Doug

The NA Z31 transmissions are the same as the 240SX transmissions. Just a different bell housing. They've been known to hold 400+ hp in daily drivers.

They have also been known to explode behind the L-series around 350-400 hp. The L-series typically makes more torque than HP, different than the KA or V6 engines. The 400 ft/lbs at 4500 rpm is what kills these trannies.

Cheers

Doug

Hi Bernardd

I'll be making more than two, once you get the pattern and setup to machine the plate, it is pretty quick to make a bunch. I am using a clutch from Ottawa, Bully-Clutch. Frank is the guy to talk to there, I got a 6 puck ceramic composite sprung unit, they will build whatever you need though.

Will you be using the Z31 or Z32 trans?

Cheers

Doug

Hi Bernardd

I'll be making more than two, once you get the pattern and setup to machine the plate, it is pretty quick to make a bunch. I am using a clutch from Ottawa, Bully-Clutch. Frank is the guy to talk to there, I got a 6 puck ceramic composite sprung unit, they will build whatever you need though.

Will you be using the Z31 or Z32 trans?

Cheers

Doug

I've got a z31 trans and the same clutch was recommended by a local shop. I'll get a hold of you when I'm ready to pickup an adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering why you guys aren't going for, the 84-86 ZX-T bell housings and using a 94-95 Mustang Cobra Tremic trans. you would need a custom 10 spline clutch disc and a ford yoke I'm sure on the front of your drive shaft.

And the FS5w71c is Very weak compared to the FS5R30A

also all the pickups after 1993 use the 250mm Z32 TT clutch

Having had long experience with T5 trannys - I dislike a lot of things about the design and the way they shift. Also for the L-series and other Nissan bellhousings, the ford input shaft is too short. There is a gearset available, but it is Uberexpensive compared to adapting a nice beefy quiet reliable Nissan tranny.

Doug

• 3 years later...