HybridZ

Strut tower to firewall or dash bar to strut towers?

I don't know what you think of this, but if you're worried about firewall flex (which I personally would be), my personal opinion is that you're best bet is to cut out the current trans tunnel and build a backbone frame in its place. This would take some time, but would not be too difficult.

What you want to do is transfer load from the strut towers to the trans tunnel and then on to the opposite corner's strut tower. At the same time you could re-design the tunnel to give you more room to reposition (move back) the engine when you do your swap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking a little closer at my own car and bj's, it appears as though he has 2 sections of tube between the A pillar bars and the strut towers. One goes at an angle from the strut tower down to the firewall, then a second goes from the A pillar straight forward to the firewall.

I like the idea of having a bar from the strut tower down to the A pillar bar (braces the struts in another plane), but it doesn't look like you can make a straight shot there without interfering with the pedals or the master cylinders. I'm thinking a straight bar would be better in terms of stiffness, so now I'm thinking more along the lines of the V to the dash bar at the dash bar height, and two straight bars back to the dash/A pillar bar connections at the same height.

Any thoughts on which is better.