HybridZ

How do you remove hatch area trim pieces?

deja

This can't be rocket science but its got me stumped and the shop manual is useless. I need to remove the side trim pieces in the hatch area but they seem to require removing the struts from the body. I can't see what holds the struts to the body. I've removed all the push on rivet things but the panel won't move past the struts at the top or the frame on the bottom. What's the secret?

The strut mounts are mounted inside the body with some bolts. Behind them, I wish I had a pic I could show you.

I'll look again, but it seems like whatever holds them on is behind the plastic panel, catch 22. I guess I'll have to crawl in there and look closer.

Thanks. Being blind as a mole doesn't help much either, LOL. I'll attack this thing again tonight.

Yes, remove the strut brackets. From outside of the car it is hard to see the bolt but there are a couple there. Once remove the strut and bracket wil swing out of the way.

Ok I got the damn thing out. Once you see the nut that holds on the strut its pretty easy, at least on the driver's side. The passenger side has a plug you have to pop out to get a socket in there.

Did the hatch door bang you on the head on it's way down like mine did me? :mrgreen: It's been too long since I did it to give you any advice, but I did remember the kiss it gave my cranium.

Davy

LOL, damn near, one strut will not hold up the hatch. Thank goodness I had a long 2x4 handy!

Did the hatch door bang you on the head on it's way down like mine did me? :mrgreen: It's been too long since I did it to give you any advice, but I did remember the kiss it gave my cranium.

Davy