HybridZ

Talking Lady help driving me crazy!

Ok last night i went out and did a few runs and now my talkin lady or bitchin betty as i like to call her keeps telling me my left door is open but its not.... and its driving me crazy i own a 83 280zx na btw is there a way i can kill her or something im not good with electrial is there a fuse or something i can take out of her? to kill her :twisted: once and for all?

Talking lady? Dump her and get a talking parrot. They make more sense. Oh... and don't keep the bird in the car with the talking lady. That is a cruel and "fowl" thing to do (to the bird).

"...only if real women were that easy to shut up"

Yeah, right..... Hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, ah, hah...

theres also a little box underneath the passenger dash, you can unplug that and have the same effect....but after this you going to be like, now i should remove the whole thing....and then you'll be removing gangs of unused wire.....but when your car don't start, cause you removed the wrong one..you'll be pist...:mrgreen:

Sounds like this problem...

Guy couldn't get his new 2006 Dodge truck to go over 30mph, and the dome light wouldn't go off. Problem? Spider bridged the switch on his door, the car thought the door was open, throwing a fault saying he couldn't go over 30.

Pull your switch.

your dome light good? make sure the bulb is good, or check for voltage at the dome light with the door shut. Got voltage or a good light, the system thinks your door is open, so pull the switches in the door wells.

Does bitchin-betty normally turn on when you leave your keys in it?

If you un-hook the little black box that houses the lady we all love to hate, you'll loose sound from the stereo speaker she normally talks out of. The speaker signal from the stereo runs through her, and there's a relay that cuts it out and connects the speaker to her voice. Take a look at the wiring diagram for the voice warning system. It's in the FSM downloadable from carfiche.com (82, but it should be the same) and I think someone may have posted a copy here somewhere too.

The dome light and Voice warning system are two different sets of contacts in the door switch, I think. Pull out the switch and spray it with contact cleaner. The wire color is blue with yellow stripe, it goes to ground with door open, you can disconnect that wire at the door switch and tape it up and see if the lady goes away, if not there are some diodes in the circuit and it gets more involved to trouble shoot.

The door contacts have three wires, one always goes to ground, and the other two get connected to eachother when the door is open. Diodes are used to seperate the signal from the left and right door so the voice warning system knows which one is open, yet the dome light dosen't care.

See here for the 82 ZX service manual. The wiring should be the same for your car.

http://carfiche.com/manuals020/cars/

If you do decide to completely get rid of the talking lady, I might be interested in getting ahold of your module. Mine burned out a long time ago.

If all else fails just unplug the moduel over the rear pass. side wheel well. Try your audio system it should still work. The voice warning system MUTES the stock audio system and comes through the drivers side frt. speaker when operating correctly. When installing an after market stereo this does not happen (muting) so you end up burning up the talking lady, because the stereo overpowers the audio output of the lady, PUFF.

If you're using the stock stereo, then the audio signal travels through a relay in the voice warning module. In one position, the audio is pass-through, in the other, the speaker is connected to the voice system. You can't easily use an aftermarket stereo with the existing wiring in the car, as it uses three wires for two speakers. The way you have to do it with an aftermarket stereo is to run new wires to the front speakers, and use the existing wires for the rear speakers. That's just about the only way to keep the voice warning system working with aftermarket radios. There is no mute function in the stock stereo, not like many aftermarket stereos have mute wires for use with handsfree phones integrated into the car. It's a physical relay in the voice warning box. The reason that using the existing stock wiring for an aftermarket stereo blows out the stereo (or the voice warning system, or both) is because you need to tie speaker out wires together, and the new systems won't work with a common wire.