HybridZ

VATN turbos?

Mack

I understand that newer turbo deisels come with some decent sized VATN turbos, with megasquirts boost control, this is a very intriguing possibility.

anyone know which turbo deisels they come on? how much HP they would be good for? all tht good stuff. any info would be appreciated! thanks!

Actually, the VATN turbos use a 5 Amp PWM curcuit to drive their vane actuator, so you use the MS to PWM control the boost at lower rpm levels, and then use a conventional wastegate over 5000 rpms.

Below that, the VATN will control boost pretty well by varying the vane angles and A/R. Problem is they are usualy .83 and larger (like 1.06 A/R) on the hot side....

The problem as I understand it with VATN turbochargers is that they were desigend to run in diesel engines. Diesel burns MUCH colder than petrol. On petrol engines I believe they have issues with longevity/reliability. Heresay though, so don't take my word for it. I did read though that Porsche have spent a lot of time/money on the superalloy for their adjustable vane turbochargers in the new 911 turbo.

Dave

unless you were to have the cold sides upgraded to a T28 size and go with twins, then the chruysler option woul be viable. Another option to look into would be to have the parts ceramic coated, that might help with teh longevity.

I just got the latest edition of Automotive Engineering from SAE, they had a short article about the new Borg-Warner VTG turbos which they have developed with Porshe.

thehelix112 hit the nail on the head, they said that previous variable vane turbos couldnt take the heat that was generated in a gasoline engine. The new 911 turbo will use the BW unit and make power from 1800 rpm!!!

You can read more info about hte turbos and different technologies in them on BW's website. Variable vane turbos are certianly awesome and I think its something we will see alot more of...