HybridZ

anyone think a 500 caddy can,t be fast?

grumpyvette

Guest caseyjones

Check out this link and see what Jeff Schwartz did with HIS boat anchor, in a FULL size Caddy nonetheless!

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/cadillac.htm The numbers speak for themselves. Oh, and he just set the world record in the 0-200-0 mph speed stop challenge in another one of his creations, a 6.6 liter LS2 powered Ultima GTR. The man has Cred! At the middle of the page it says "soon to be installed 8.9 liter stroker Cadillac, good for 10 second ET's" My dad and I just picked up THAT motor (542 ci) from him because he has decided to sell his Cadillac and won't need it anymore. My dad is putting it in his 57' Ford Fairlane and taking out the 500 Cad which he already has installed in it. Now what to do with that one? Hmmmm.. Our SBC powered 280Z might end up being its new home, we shall see. :burnout:

Alot of people replied showing the virtues of the 500 cad engines and I don't dipute that they can be made to preform ,That does not mean it is the right engine to put in a z. . I'm just looking at the fact that the 500 will add weight were you don't need it, In the front of the car. If your looking for raw power why not supercharge instead?144 blower is $1500 in satin finish and $2 g polished. The sbc adds 150 lbs to the front of the z. Aluminum heads, intake ect can help. Relocate the battery to the rear helps. Having all that weight up front for a big block which weights more then a small block seems to go against the cars design. which was supposed to be a balanced sports car. Its bad enough, that the small block has a 57/43 weight distrubtion. I feel a car should be balanced. I mean, its cool guys get some power out of the old cads, people even take the 403 olds, with it hollow , weak main webbings and machine a bearing cradle so the bottom end can hold up to 6000 plus rpms, shove a steel crank in and go racing. But it cost alot to do that. So you can make anything work if you put effort, time and money in it. As far as to be different thing is cool. I just look at horsepower per dollar and I know you will pay way more to modify a 500 cad in parts ,than a sbc or sbf. By the way, For the guy who said 10 g for a 502 ,

Roller cammed street thumper.

There is no replacement for displacement, and torque is king. These 502 c.i.d. cast iron 4-bolt mains with 1-piece rear main seals with approximately 8.75:1 compression and 450 hp at 5,250 rpm and 550 ft./lbs. of torque at 3,500 rpm. These blocks are fit with 1053 forged steel crankshafts, forged aluminum pistons with forged steel shot peened rods with 7/16 in. bolts. Hydraulic roller camshafts with .510 in. intake lift, .540 in. exhaust lift and duration at .050 in. for intake is 211 degrees, and 230 degrees for exhaust. Cast Iron cylinder heads with 118cc combustion chambers with 2.19 in. intake, and 1.88 in. exhaust valves. Rock arms are installed with 1.7:1 ratio. They are then topped off with aluminum dual plane intake manifolds and dress the engine with a cast iron water pump, 6-quart oil pan, windage tray, 14 in. flexplate and torsional damper. So, all you need to do is provide an 750 cfm carburetor, HEI ignition system, headers with 2 in. diameter by 30 in. long primaries and low restriction mufflers and a car with big sticky tires. These 502 HO crate engines require electric fuel pumps because the 502 GEN VI blocks have no mechanical fuel pump bosses. The 502 HO is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1978 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles. part number NAL-12568778 Summit Racing $6099 ships tomorrow.

How about a 500HP/600ft lbs. pump gas, dyno tested, Cadillac crate engine for $8,400! http://www.cadillacperformanceparts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=42

p.s. This engine weighs about 575lbs. with iron heads!

Mark

...I'm just looking at the fact that the 500 will add weight were you don't need it, In the front of the car. If your looking for raw power why not supercharge instead?144 blower is $1500 in satin finish and $2 g polished.

Endurorider, have you ever picked up a Weiand 144? I have. It kind of throws that whole weight concern out the window...

500 ci Cad engine weighs 600 lbs.(thats 25 more than an all iron small block chevy) Edelbrock intake & cam, Sanderson headers, engine set back within 1/4" of firewall due to dist. in front,2004R od trans bolts right up,2 1/2 dual exh. and you have a killer street Z (just dont turn it over 4800 rpm)

Its bad enough, that the small block has a 57/43 weight distrubtion.

Not sure where you got these numbers. Most SBC installs end up with a slight rear weight bias.

If you guys go to ebay right now there is all of 1 caddy 500 motor/transmission for sale and another bare block.

Still say what good is it if you can't find one.

500 Ci Cad engine weighs 600 lbs.(thats 25 more than an all iron small block Chevy) Redbrick intake & cam, Sanderson headers, engine set back within 1/4" of firewall due to dist. in front,R OD trans bolts right up,2 1/2 dual ex. and you have a killer street Z (just dint turn it over 4800 rpm)

The stock cast iron intake weighs 30 lbs. Going to a aluminum intake like the Edelbrock will save major weight.

As will upgrading the stock internals to lighter forged pieces, (pistons, rods, valve train, etc...).

So a iron head 500" Cadillac, like the one I previously mentioned, call easily weigh less than a all iron sbc.

Using aluminum heads will save another 70 or more pounds, but availability is currently limited.

Note: 385cfm "out of the box" aluminum heads will be available in the near future according to Potter Automotive.

Mark