HybridZ

Chass Damaged

Guest grefftech

Guest grefftech

Hello All,

I'm a noob to this site and have a problem. I currently have a 79 280zx ( 2 seat ) that is being hybridz. It has a sbc 350v8 with a 700r4 trans in it. My son's school tech class totally rebuilt the engine and converted it from a tbi to an Edlebock 4 barrel to remove the need for an ecu (kiss 101). This is a homegrown project to keep costs down on labor, it has also been a learning expierence..the next major step involved removing the power steering and replacing it with a manual rack and pinion from an 85 stanza. while under the car I noticed he undercarriage looked like it has seen to many speed bumps and a section of the frame is bent and distorted. How worried should I be. See JPG's

Andy

Dsc02929_thumb.jpg

Dsc02927_thumb.jpg

Dsc02926_thumb.jpg

Dsc02925_thumb.jpg

the rail looks to be relatively intact. I'm not seeing signs of severe rust, so it's not structurally weakened by the cancer. If it's a concern, I would take it to a body shop to put on a frame rack to determine if the chassis isn't straight. Worst case scenario, weld in replacement bar for reinforcement

It just looks like someone used that as a jacking point.

Yeah, or something?!? Looks like a sledgehammer...Anyway, hmm, doesn't look like anything was welded in. Take Aux's advice and take it to a frame shop to see if it is straight (or have the kids measure every which way) and go from there. Something similar to the Bad Dog rails can be welded in for additional strength if need be. Unless the motor is putting out serious power, I would not be too worried...but that's just me.

Davy

That is almost certainly jacking damage. You should have seen what I did to my 240. The rails on a 280 look like building girders compared to the 240 rails.

I drove for years with a good 2-3 inch deflection in my floors. I finally just this year hammered them back with a 3 lbs sledge and a piece of 2x4.

I honestly would not worry about what you are seeing. I also would not hesitate to weld on the floors. I don't think the Z car floors are tempered so you won't be weakening them as long as your welds are good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grefftech

Dan Juday,

Sorry for the long response, been disconnected from the net ( away on work) and didn't see yor question. What you see is correct. Our plan is to eventually put twin turbos up front. I removed the engine fan and replaced it with an electric fan in front of the radiator with a temp control leaving a reasonable gap for the turbos to go.

Andy