HybridZ

stupid drum question

hey i did the drums on my car, had to beat the crap out of them to get them off, and got to them, rebuilt them cleaned them and replaced the shoes and drum, and im wondering how, what does that little hole in the drum do??? is it supposed to vent or maybe give you acces to the adjuster blade by the wheel cylinder, i dont know i dont know, last night was my first drum job and it took me six hours, with the pain i went through last night and the learning i did on the system, i think it will take me about thirty minutes for the whole job ONCE I GET THE SUCKER OFF!

It's for the dent puller for removing the drum. hehe

Could not resist...

I think it's for inspection.

If I remember there use to be a rubber plug in there????

Dave malebitchslap.gif

I just went through the stuck drum ritual. I tried all of the various tricks and techniques. The driver's side drum pulled off very easy. It was deeply scored inside. The passenger side drum would not come off. So after two days of frustration I took a 3/8 drill and drilled through the drum right around the hub. It came off after I made the full circle of holes around the hub.This drum is now history and will never frustrate anyone again. smile.gif I then wire brushed both hubs to remove rust and scale.

see your Haynes manual brake section as it mentions the hole in the drum. The hole in the drum is actually for inserting a screw driver to adjust/slacken the brakes. On my 72 240Z there is an adjuster hole on the back side of the backing plate on the driver's side and no hole in the backing plate on the passenger side. On the passenger side you have to adjust the brakes through the hole in the drum. There is a flat piece of metal (cog) that allows the adjuster to turn in only one direction each time you set the E brake. In order to slacken the adjuster wheel you have to reach in though the hole and push the flat piece of metal (cog) away from the adjuster. This was a PITA since I could not see the cog and had to fish around for it.

Make sure the E brake is working as it adjusts your brakes each time you set the E brake. Otherwise you will have to adjust them through the holes provided in the drums/backing plates.

UPDATE

I discovered yesterday why my 72 Z has an adjuster hole on the back of the driver's side backing plate. The previous owner replaced the stock strut with a 77 Z strut/brakes. I am now replacing the 77 strut with the proper 72 strut. This was a potentially dangerous situation as the 77 strut is longer than the 72 strut and there is no provision for the E brake adjuster to work creating an asymetrical strut/brake set up.

Lesson learned...you can't assume anything is right when you buy a 30 year old project car.

Miles