HybridZ

Weird fan thing on engine blowing over valve cover.

nbesheer

I have this fan thing stuf to the side of my engine that i guess blows air over the intake manifold(?) but it doesn't run at Ide/1k/2k/3k/4k RPM so i don't think it even works so should I see about replacing it or just removing it because I see people on here with out it.

Mike it is the Y shaped thing in the middle of the valve cover.

http://dcerutti.smugmug.com/photos/87164462-M.jpg

So after running my car for a bit I should turn it off and check to see if it is blowing air and if it is not is it safe to remove it ? I run a lol bone stock NA, well with a CAI so go ahead and make fun of me for that haha. if that sways the descision at all. And I am in Southern California too.

It's the Auxiliary cooling fan on 280ZX's. When you shut the car off it will come on and run for about 15 min. if your engine coolant temp. is over 221 F. It wiil shut off if you turn the ignition switch on or start the car before that. It blows air over the injectors and fuel lines to cool the fuel temps. This is to aid in starting a car in hot weather or hot engine temps. I would not remove it.

LARRY

I wouldn't be too quick to toss that injector/fuel rail cooler. I would keep it around if your going to beef up that L6. I have one of those fans in my 78 280Z and it definately did come on sitting in traffic during the summer with the AC on. This is in Boston MA with temps outside in the low to mid 90's.

My 280Z has had a lot of head work done, a custom healthy cam grind, 6-1 headers and bigger injectors and throttle body.

So keep it around, it may come in handy some day.

Greg