HybridZ

Not much of an NA crowd here?

Daeron

I am going to have to say, that once you feel the hp and low down torque of a turbocharged car, NA engines feels lethargic and lackluster.

I have a good friend who built his L28, big compression, custom pistons, Racer Brown Cam, beautiful headwork etc etc only to yield just over 240whp. The car sounded great and went pretty quickly but he spent an easy $6 or 7 grand and then hit a brick wall.

With turbocharged you can get 400hp for the same $$$ and still have an awesome sounding car, simply because of the harmonics of the straight 6 and the L engine. Not to mention an engine that will pick-up a car and make it accelerate with brute force. People who think that turbo technology is the easy or cheap way...think again please, that is a very untrue statement.

Most of us on here that have turbo set-ups are NOT "half-assed/dodgey built turbo", but have taken pride in the install and are well built set-ups.

Internal combustion engines ARE air pumps, the efficiency of these air pumps are increased significantly by forced induction (turbo or super charging). Turbocharging is simply incredible technology.

Yasin

I built a pretty mean N/A motor while my car was at the body shop. About halfway thru I started thinking , "should I turbo as well". Even went as far as purchasing a killer tako ashi exhaust header and t07 turbine w/ external HKS wastegate. Even found the HKS type 2 surge tank to plumb the ITB's through. Then started thinking," will I have room for all of this under the hood?". Not sure so I went back to the N/A. I know I will be happy with the N/A as it is bigger, badder and much meaner than the previous motor. However I still have a P90 and 2mm headgasket sitting in a box just incase it does all fit. (KGC10 engine rooms are little smaller). However if I was going to spend money to build and engine for the Z car, I would have to turbo the car. For the price to performance ratio - cannot beat it..Room for future upgrades are inspiring as well..

I wasnt trying to say that turbo is cheap,not by any means but when compared to n/a tuning for the same result it is by far.I think if your going to upgrade all your internals,fuel system,ignition,as well as poring,polishing and whatnot y not turbo as well,after all that work you just made everything even better for doing so...- the big cams and super compression ratio anyway.Not to mention the result is far more dramatic.

2003z: what kind of cash did those pistons set you back? now I am being lazy and milking for info, but for now its just vague notions still being formed, so vague information is OK.
$39/each, but I have a friend who is a parts manager that sells to me with a very small markup.

Flat tops would have been $42 each, so it was a no brainer.

I currently own both NA and Turbo cars, and I've (had) built half a dozen NA's and a couple of turbo cars, so I'll speak to what little experience I've gained so far.

250 whp is the 'practical' limit for an NA L6 build and can be VERY expensive. Ask Brian510. He has a phenomenal build from Rebello and I believe his final tally was approx. 275 whp.

For half the money, that becomes the STARTING point for a turbo L6 build.

That doesn't mean you have to spend only half the money. I've spent WAY more on my current turbo build than I've spent on any of my NA builds.

The key is the proper application of knowledge to assemble the proper parts in order to achieve a specific goal. If you don't know what you want to build, then you're just spinning your wheels and you'll end up wasting a lot of money along the way. Believe me, I've wasted enough for nearly everyone!

Good luck,

WW

I miss the sound of my triple webers singing at 8k rpm! Pure Evil that engine was. V8 idle, wicked top end, and wouldn't die on the track. A real head turner..cops too.. I prefer the wicked feel of hp/trq and the driveablity..might be my old age speaking now...hehehe I have 100hp more, and I can hear myself think while driving, and still get 28mpg while cruising.

BUT

For the track, I miss my inline triple weber setup for the sheer sound!

Scott.