HybridZ

building a SBF to be boosted...considerations...

OlderThanMe

The mexican block was around in the 60s and 70s and they have a wierd circular boss cast into the front of them by the water pump. The mexican block has higher nickel content and thicker main webbing. The main webbing is supposed to be close to the old boss 302 blocks minus 4blot main. It u wanna make an easy 500hp get a roller block 351w, i believe they are 88 and later. Put in a 408 stroker kit and some trick flow heads and u can get your 500hp easy with killer torque.

Btw all 351 bottom ends except for the pistons are good to around 700hp with just replacing the stock bolts with good ARP ones. All 351w motors have forged rods, and even though the crank might be cast remember it has 3" mains...

I'm building the early block. Some sources report there is a slight difference in lower end webbing between the early and later 351W blocks (early ones being stronger). I'm fitting a roller cam in the early one, with AFR 205 heads, 1 3/4" headers, and the usual other stuff. In essence, I'm increasing the stroke by almost 1" over the current 289 motor (2.87 to 3.75), along with an improvement in the cam and heads. All reference point me to the low 500 range in torque and power over a preatty broad range.