HybridZ

Paint question regarding powercoating or cadmium plating suspension

wickiewicked240z

Hello im trying to decide wether to powdercoat the suspension or cadmium plate the suspension. Here are some pictures of cadmium plating suspension of a 240z

Soooo, you are wondering about cost comparisons? Longevity? Looks? Which will attract a female? What?

I'm not a powder coater like Mike, but I would venture to say that the powdercoat is certainly thicker and if not scratched, would hold up better than zinc or cad plating because it is a very tough plastic. I also think you'll spend more for it as well. It comes down to personal choice. I personally like the look of the zinc or cad plating because it looks unique.

Davy

i was wondering about this too. is it possible to cad plate aluminum? im thinking of doing my valvecover.

You'll want to prep the valve cover really well, pretty much like a polished one, if you want the plating to look really nice. I think that anodizing or zinc plating would be cool for a valve cover. I like pretty parts! :)

powder is probably more durable, but that cad plating sure is pretty!

Mike, do you do any cad or zinc plating? I know you powdercoat well. I'm wondering what the going rate is for a crossmember or strut cartidges would be in Cermakrome or something similar. Sorry If I'm putting you on the spot or anything. I guess it could depend on prep work etc...

Davy

im going to go with powder coating i think is going to be cheaper. cost for sandblasting all the suspension parts is $80 at kenny sandblasting in el monte,CA 1 day turn around great. As for powder coating im going to go with RED SUSPENSION PARTS. I want something that will stand out under the black undercoating....

Mike, do you do any cad or zinc plating? I know you powdercoat well. I'm wondering what the going rate is for a crossmember or strut cartidges would be in Cermakrome or something similar. Sorry If I'm putting you on the spot or anything. I guess it could depend on prep work etc...

Davy

Davy, No plating here.

The $250 charge for all the parts is very fair.

Davy, No plating here.

The $250 charge for all the parts is very fair.

Pretty darn good price--I agree. Around here that would be on the cheap side for sure. No wonder you do some good business :2thumbs:

Davy

"Only thing I would cad/zinc plate is brake components, due to operating temps.

- Greg -"

Actually, for a daily driver, regular powdercoat will work just fine for any brake part. Where you might run into problems is on a track car where you use the brakes hard and for long durations. Even then there is high temp powdercoat that will withstand 1000F. Most of the high temp powder is black, silver, or grey; but I have seen Eastwood also carries orange and blue. I just dont like the Eastwood powder quality so I cant endorse it.

Tory

Ive had rims powdercoated and even from regular street use, the PC on the mounting surface of the rim seizes to the brake rotor and makes it a pain in the ass to get them off the car. Because of this, I will never PC brake components. It's easy to exceed the 500* threshold for PC. Maybe the high temp stuff would work better, but why bother with that high cost. You can get VHT caliper paint and use that.

- Greg -

Ive had rims powdercoated and even from regular street use, the PC on the mounting surface of the rim seizes to the brake rotor and makes it a pain in the ass to get them off the car. Because of this, I will never PC brake components. It's easy to exceed the 500* threshold for PC. Maybe the high temp stuff would work better, but why bother with that high cost. You can get VHT caliper paint and use that.

- Greg -

While PC on the back or rims can be a problem, I have successfully coated over 250 sets of calipers for customers and not one has ever had a problem. Caliper paint just looks nasty compared to powder, in fact, probably 30% of the calipers that I get in have been previously painted, but the owners were unsatisfied with the results or longevity.