HybridZ

Rb20det and RB25det differences?

Thanh

Hey guys I tried searching for this before I posted it I swear :roll: . Some guy is selling me an Rb25det complete with Trans ecu, wire harness and a greddy intake manifold. Hes giving me a really good deal, but the thing is I want to make sure its an RB25det not an RB20. I want to know visually what will I need to look at to make sure that I am not getting jip? Besides the block #.

As long as the block number dosnt look tampered with thats pretty solid.

There are a handful of people here that can tell you the exact differences but if you go to http://www.zeroyon.com and ask that question you will have a page of diffrences in a couple hours. the site is based out of the RB homeland okinawa japan:biggrin:

If it indeed does have a Greddy intake manifold (unmodified) then you know it is an RB25. It will not fit the RB20.

Awsomeness thanks for the help. I will check it out today and let you guys know if its coming home or not.

Couple of easy things..

First, if it has a stock intake manifold, then the last runner on the intake manifold will be indented on the RB20, no indentation on the RB25. If the runners are all even, then it's an RB25. Second, RB25's have a VTC solenoid on the end of the camshaft which requires a bulge in the timing cover. Supposedly it can be removed, but there's no reason why it should be.

Here's a pic of an RB20:

engine.z31.rb20det.jpg

And another:

engine.z31.rb25det.jpg

Now here's an RB25:

rbz31_1.jpg

Another view of an RB25:

rbz31_9.jpg

Hope that helps you out a little.

Ok so I got off too late and didn't get to see it. I told him i see it tommorrow. From what I hear, supposely the motor had a blown head gasket and has been sitting for 2 1/2 years. Rust has got into the block and everywhere else. He is saying it needs a rebuild. I told my uncles employee to come check it out with me on monday. Any reason why I should not take it. Ill check it out tomorrow and post some pictures to get opinions. Its a good deal, but I dont wanna pay for junk >:(

That's not true. Some R32's did have RB25DE's which did not have vtc . RB25DET's started in R33's.

:iagree:My bad, It was a typo, that's what I was going to say, the only NONE VTC RB25 heads were on the first series N/A 25s.

...Any reason why I should not take it....Its a good deal, but I don't wanna pay for junk >:(

You answered your own question here, it all depends on the price. It might be a good deal for a working engine, but might not be such a good one for a piece of junk. Check around various sites to see how much a gasket set, timing kit, rings and so forth cost and add it to the price of the engine.

Then factor in the time you'll have to spend to, first do the job and second wait for all the parts to come in trough the mail and you'll see that it might no be such a good deal after all.

On an other note, the most flagrant difference that I can see between the two engines is, the RB20 has ribbed valve covers and the RB25 has smooth covers. EDIT: Never minde my last comment, I just saw an RB20 with smooth covers.

:iagree:My bad, It was a typo, that's what I was going to say, the only NONE VTC RB25 heads were on the first series N/A 25s.

You answered your own question here, it all depends on the price. It might be a good deal for a working engine, but might not be such a good one for a piece of junk. Check around various sites to see how much a gasket set, timing kit, rings and so forth cost and add it to the price of the engine.

Then factor in the time you'll have to spend to, first do the job and second wait for all the parts to come in trough the mail and you'll see that it might no be such a good deal after all.

On an other note, the most flagrant difference that I can see between the two engines is, the RB20 has ribbed valve covers and the RB25 has smooth covers. EDIT: Never minde my last comment, I just saw an RB20 with smooth covers.

Yea I know. If its pretty much rusted, I am looking at some big bucks. Waterpump, thermostats, gaskets, I know for a fact I gotta take the block apart to see how much damage has the rust done.

FYI the greddy intake manifold is a cashy piece, may make the purchase worthwhile.

Evan

Definitely thought of that one :icon14: