HybridZ

Rasing Strut towers?

I haven't bothered to measure using John Coffey's guidance yet. I will when I get ready to order tires. I absolutely want to be able to get as much power to the ground as possible, which is why I've removed the headers and cut the ring off the bellhousing. Goal is maximum power to the pavement and best use of the suspension... Oh, and the pics of the car in that particular angle are deceptive. It is pretty darned low.

Mike

I thought he was running 8610s. I also thought that the 8610s have 6" of strut travel, and a length that is roughly the same as the 240 front insert.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't see how it's possible to run out of rebound with that strut. I guess I only have my own experience with my 240 inserts in the rear to go on...

The 8610 bodies are about 12 7/8" long and you need to run a spacer in the rear about 1.5" tall. If the strut tube is cut too short you loose some amount the 1.5" of additional rebound travel that the spacer provides by positioning the shock in the middle if its travel.

Taller tires also require longer strut tubes to maintain the shock in the middle of its range of travel at a desired ride height. 275/40-18 tires are huge (26.7" OD) for a 240Z and would require a ride height around 6.5" front and 7" rear.

EDIT: A simple fix would be to run the Hoosier 275-15s which should give you back about 2" of rebound travel all by themselves.

The 8610 bodies are about 12 7/8" long and you need to run a spacer in the rear about 1.5" tall. If the strut tube is cut too short you loose some amount the 1.5" of additional rebound travel that the spacer provides by positioning the shock in the middle if its travel.

Don't know what I was thinking there. I can see how sectioning the rear strut to fit the cartridge would cause this problem.

I'm actually looking at hoosiers, NIttos, and Kumhos for dry and some Bridgestones or NITTOs for wet. All are in the 24.5 inch range and should allow me to gain back the added droop needed.

Since I haven't bought the track wheels yet, I may end up going with 17s on those for a couple of reasons...

Mike