HybridZ

RADIATOR!!!

Guest jump175

Guest jump175

Ok, I've done a little research and am still pulling my hair out trying to figure out which radiator I want. I talk to a tec rep at radiator.com and she said that the 83'-85' or 68' Camaro radiator wouldn't fit in my 78' 280Z. I don't want to go with the Grifin because I didn't want to have to add an additional trans cooler and JTR wants to much for their radiator. Can one of you V8 swap vets please help me? I live in NC now but will be moving to AZ soon. I'm only pushing a mild 305 but just don't want any problems with over heating.

Thanks,

Justen

Justen,

The 1984-1986 Camaro base radiator will fit the Z. Many of us are running that already in our cars. I bought mine for about $75 from a good wrecking yard--just went in and pulled it. With a good fan, the radiator will work fine and fit fine. As long as she is selling a direct replacement, it has the same dimensions and will fit, period. Hope this helps.

David

Guest Drewz

I am using a stock 260z rad with a recore and extra core for good measure. My motor is very stout and I am using an electric fan from a supercharged bonneville ffrom a local boneyard. I push the beast really hard and have never run over 205 degrees. Hope this helps! wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

hey everybody on this board is going to both ridicule and emabarass me forever, but i have been running the stock 240z radiator for about a year now, and i havent been over 210 in bumper to bumper traffic, and run at 175-180 in regular driving, and my motor is in scarab position with the engine mounted fan and a butchered fan shroud, funny huh?

Don't laugh man - one of the stock type Z radiators I've got looks plenty stout and I've been looking hard at it. However I think some form of aluminum rad is going to take up residence in my car - for looks if nothing else smile.gif 24inch Griffin or a Camaro radiator - still debating.

BTW - I've got the JTR lower mount and someone told me a neat trick - goto the local home hardware type place and get those rubber cushins that you stick to the wall to prevent doorknob damage - place them under the radiator for cushioning smile.gif Sounds to me like a darned good idea!

Guest jump175

Dave,

How many cores does that 83-85 radiator have, also is it plastic and aluminum? The lady at radiator.com has totally confused the crap out of me. Thanks for your help.

Justen

If you try to get a junkyard radiator, be sure to take your tape measure with you. I pulled one out of the same 1984 V8 Camaro that the JTR book recommended, and it was over 30" wide and won't fit between the frame rails. I also pulled one out of a 4-cyl Camaro, and it was just as wide but not as thick. This convinced me I had the right one (but I was, of course, wrong).

Anyway, be careful.

On my lunch hour the other day, I stopped by Autozone. They sell the aluminum Camaro radiator for less than $140. Check their website for a store near you. That particular part number is in their computer as being both a 2-row and a 3-row, but it is indeed a 2-row. Featherweight, and a good price. Looks like lots of free-flowing surface area to dissipate heat, too. I can see that being the perfect match to an electric fan.

Scott Ferguson

19756 260-Z w/ an ever growing circle of engine parts around it...

[This message has been edited by RPMS (edited March 20, 2001).]

Guest kc6wfs

I also run a stock 260Z auto trans rad (3 core)and have had no problems so far. I bypassed the trans cooler and running a hayden. Don't want to cook the trans!

Temps here in So Cal have been getting hot 90's all this week so far, sitting in trafic the fans kick in and the temp drops fast, 80-90 mph on freeway it stays cool.

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

www.NitroPhotos.com

Guest Dean570z

Justin:

Since you will moving to a very hot and dry climate, think about going to a larger capacity rad. If you are going conventional, the JTR book recommends an early Nova radiator also and dimensionaly it fits within the 280z framerails. Height also is not a problem. Go to a custom shop, get a 4 core, 16 fins/inch (thats the key) radiator with the proper inlet and outlets and if you are using an auto trans, use an aftermarket cooler. I also live in the desert and have had to wait at a railroad crossing in 112 F heat for over 20 minutes while the train maneuvered for a lumber yard and the temp gauge never left the 180 F mark (I run a 180F thermostat. A custom shop doesn't cost that much, at least not here.

Dean Byers 570z

Quartz Hill, Ca

RPMS, I tried Autozone and ordered the rad for a 6 like JTR recomended. When it came in it was the wide one we can't use, and they didn't have anything else. I tried anouther auto parts place with the same results. Then I found 1-800-radiator, and they had the right one. Tell them the measurements to make sure.

Justen, it is aluminum, with plastic tanks.It's a single core that's 1 3/4" wide.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

• 8 years later...

Hey BLKMGK, no reason to laugh, when I first put my v8 in the z years ago I decided to try the stock z radiator. It was a '72 automatic car and I ran several thousand miles with it and it worked fine. I was in Sacramento at the time so it does get in triple digits there. I did have to use a piece of hose to shim up the difference in the chevy sized radiator hose and the Z. But it DOES work. I was using a Taurus fan at the time. I think peer pressure and piece of mind made me change it over to the aluminum unit (which was even contriversial to the original JTR author at the time) which worked fine. Just thought I'd through that out there.

Regards,

Lone

PS: Here in Phoenix I doubt I would try this experiment, just to hot for to long of the year to chance it.

Paul, "Lonerevd" is the same "Lonehdrider" from way back when this forum began many moons ago. I don't think he noticed the date on the post since the forum layout has changed somewhat in the past decade.

He still plays well with others and will catch on ;)

Davy

• Administrators
Paul, "Lonerevd" is the same "Lonehdrider" from way back when this forum began many moons ago. I don't think he noticed the date on the post since the forum layout has changed somewhat in the past decade.

He still plays well with others and will catch on ;)

Davy

:lmao: We like it when they play well with others, unlike that RTz character.. :wink:

Heh, thanks for getting my back Davy, yeah I didn't see the date at all, I was replying to a thread and didn't look at the date. Senile in my old age heh... Funny some of the same names still here and lots of great new projects. Accept my apology :malebitch I did mean well.. :D

Regards and well wishes,

Lone

• 1 year later...

Another good radiator that fits, is one from a 72 chevelle. I had one in my sbc swapped s30 for a while it fit nice and worked really good with the taurus fan setup. I honestly don't see a valid logical reason to use the v6 IROC camaro, except for the fact that they sell bolt in mount kits. TBH when it comes to radiators for the sbc s30 swap, I really like AFCO's/speedwaymotors, HOWE, c&r, and those cheap 2 core radiators on ebay.