HybridZ

RB Crank Collar

Careless

anyone know where to purchase one for a good price?

nengun doesnt have anymore of the Jun ones, which came down in price by almost half, last time i checked.

there was a knockoff ebay one that doesnt exist anymore.

coincidentally, more RB's are turning up now, and less crankcollars.

maybe i should take out stocks in whatever company produces these RB oil pumps :P

Just some OT talk..

What is this for? Could be my english thats bad, but I dont see where this thing goes and what it's supposed to do.

the crank drive on the oil pumps that go on the RB engines that were made around the time of the R32 or prior have less flat mating surface on the crank shaft. The miniscule gap between the lobes on the oil pump and the flats on the crank shaft cause vibration and make the pump fail due to cracking or internally exploding at high rpm or continued thrashing.

The way to solve this is to machine the crank down so that you can slip on a crank COLLAR that would replace the flats on the existing crank. It's somewhat of a bushing that has wider flat areas ground onto it, so that it makes more contact with the oil pump and it vibrates less.

Wow, some of you are paying too much for a crank collar. I just placed an order with a shop in NZ that is very well known on that side of the world. For $90 SHIPPED i am getting a crank collar and 2x 1.2mm oil restrictors for use on a rb25 neo (yes the neo DID NEED a crank collar). I can't say how long shipping has taken because it is still in transit but i was assured shipping should only take around a weeks time. Other than that, my only complaint is that communication was a little slow, but when I'm awake he's asleep so I can't say its his fault. Anyways, his email is sales@gtr.co.nz

Thanks Careless for a very god explanation :)

I bought me a underdrive alu crank pulley from Unorthodox Racing. SR20DET though.

It had some sort of sleeve around the neck which fits into the engine oil pumpe sleeve.

It says more in this pdf here

"The pulley comes with a 1MM thick steel sleeve pressed over the outer diameter of the hub on the rear of the pulley, side of the pulley with part #’s, where the pulley fits into the engine oil seal."

Looks like this mounted and the weight is about 1/4 of the oem pulley...

for thoose that wanted to know :icon56:

IMG_0225.jpg

turbo fb,

I think you are missunderstanding what the crank collar issue is. Here is a link to a write up on racebread about it.

http://forums.racebread.com/index.php?topic=1585.0

:) Think so to.

Will remove the pump and have a look before I slip the engine in.

The one in that link looks realy bad.

I guess this is a good upgrade for thoose that run upgraded oil pumps.

:) Think so to.

Will remove the pump and have a look before I slip the engine in.

The one in that link looks realy bad.

I guess this is a good upgrade for thoose that run upgraded oil pumps.

well if you're taking the crank out and putting back the stock oil pump, or any oilpump for that matter, you SHOULD put that collar on.

It's not necessarily for performance applications

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just got mine in the mail, shipped in a peanut butter jar. I'm gonna get it from my friends house, and i'll take pics of the quality. not that it matters (because the guy only had 3, so chances are this is not gonna be the same as any other one... and apparently this steel is better?).

heck i should probably get some made =)