HybridZ

Help exhaust system experts

madkaw

I am trying to fabricate a dual exhaust system on my 240. My knowledge of exhaust assembly is limited and i want to order piping to put together my system.

In what circumstances would a person use a flex pipe like this. Is it meant to allow for twisting of the engine.Does anyone know where to find a X crossover pipe in 2". I have found 2.25"(inlet) but don't know if I can make that work with 2" pipe(O.D.)

25flex.jpgtruxpipe.jpg

Pretty much anywhere that the exhaust pipe has to be rigidly mounted and the engine is not rigidly mounted would be a good place to use flex pipe. On most exhaust systems the exhaust is hung from rubber hangers and moves with the engine.

I don't think you need an X pipe on your 6 cylinder exhaust. You could run one if you wanted, but I think most people just the two pipes separately all the way back on the 6 cylinders. Theoretically it would help scavenge the exhaust gasses better, but it would be a bigger PITA to install I think. I can't tell you why it is used on the 8's so frequently and not the 6's though...

I don't know of anyone who's tried duals with an "X" pipe on a L6 exhaust. Depending on the level of your engine build, you're most likely just adding additional weight without increasing power or torque. IMHO, a properly designed merge 2 into 1 collector with equal length secondary pipes feeding it will do a lot to gain power and torque.