HybridZ

Nissan Datascan on RB25DET?

240Z_Master

yeah i think Apexi released a unit that took advantage of the nissan consult diagnostics.

It was a black box with an orange LCD screen and had all the same features, except it was more compact, dash mountable display.

I figured it wouldnt work with a standalone, because it's supposed to interface with the stock nissan units, but what im asking is whether or not a standalone can't display any information that this thing can.

i figured this unit is made for people running the stock ECU and electronics, of course, or atleast the ECU and other mismatched parts to see how they stack up without going standalone.

In regards to hooking up a RB25DET...

You will first require a consult connector...In case yours is damaged or just missing I have these available to Hybridz for $10US a piece + postage. This includes new pins.

The blazt cable colours should match up to the Pin positions in this fashion...Power can be any 12V source prefer ignition source...ground is ground......

Red - Power

Black - Gnd

Blue - Clock ....... Pin # 31 Diagnostics Clock

White - Tx ....... Pin# 22 Diagnostics Send Data

Yellow - Rx ....... Data Pin# 21 Diagnostics Receive Data

Chk position 47 is not required for NDS software.

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR POSTIONS AGAINST A WIRING PRINT this was for a R33...standard disclaimer..blah blaha blah....

I can offer USB cable kits for the same price (+shipping) as RS232 kits to Hybridz members... www.blazt.biz has retail prices for comparsion and further info. Just contact me directly.

Jerry

With a lot of aftermarket ecu's that come with controllers such as the apexi power fc you get a controller with it which shows you data of different running components of your motor. Diagnostic tools show engine codes and also realtime running data. Difference?? Diagnostic tools dont tune your motor. They are very nice for finding problems and finding out how your motor is running but thats where it stops with standard diagnostic tools. I just went through advanced electronics and learned how to use oscilloscopes and diagnostic scanners and it was great. Definitly incrediable what you can use to diagnose problems these days.

cool. so i guess for someone that wants to retain the datalogging capability on a stock electronic day to day car or wants to know whats up with their current stock setup, Nissan's got a good aftermarket software following.

I can flash roms with my old Pentium 200mx motherboard :D

Hey guys, just wanted to pitch in here. I've got a RB25DET S2, and I ordered my Blazt setup and Consult connector from Jerry here a while ago.. I hooked it up and have played with Nissan Datascan and the Datalogger quite a bit. If you're running a factory computer, it's definitely worth it to pick one up. I was able to quickly determine I had a coil pack going out and my ECT sensor was failing after one run.

It's a great piece of software and the tech support they gave me was outstanding. Most important things with the wiring is making sure you have GND and a good 12V source on that consult port. I can post up the wire colors and such should you need them.

I'm very happy with mine and highly recommend it to anyone with an RB or a consult connection for that matter.

• Administrators
Thanx!!!

Jerry,

I wanted to thank you publicly. My full version of ConZult is up and running on my laptop, Thank you very much. XD.gif

As a business owner myself, when it comes to dealing with businesses as a customer, I am always critical of how those other businesses handle customer service when it comes to issues or just simple questions. I firmly believe that customer service is KEY to satisfied customers in regards to speed/tuner shops, and in our business, we make every effort to keep our customers satisfied.

Your customer service has been first rate. I had a couple questions right out of the gate and you were “Johnny-on-the-spot”, answered my questions with professionalism and made sure I had everything I needed to be up and running. You can be sure when someone asks bout the conZult and Nissan Data Scan that I will be directing them to Jerry at “blaZt”, ave.gif

(And for those that might think otherwise, NO, Jerry didn’t pay me or offer any special discounts for this plug. I was just that impressed).

http://www.blazt.biz

jbarvinek@rogers.com

• 3 weeks later...
I can't be sure about series 1(I have a series 2), but if what I got can help...

Rx: br./yel. pin21 ECU(or 71, not sure the writing is faded on the tag.)

Tx: yel. pin22 ECU

Clk: yel./red pin31 ECU

Chk: yel./black pin47 ECU

Ign: switched power from wherever you want.

(-): Body.

I seem to be having a problem... I can't get the damn thing to work with this wiring... I wonder if the RX is completely wrong...

And also.. does the CHK have to be plugged in? Or just the 4 and the IGN?

No the check light does need to be hooked up....the blaZt cable only has 5 wires....

Not to ask the obvios .....Are you sure you have power?

The next step is to follow this procedure ...it will determine if the wiring is correct and help you identify if DATA is flowing......

Use a volt meeter

1. plug the CABLE into the car. Turn ignition on

2. Probe between red and black wire. You should get about 12V. If

not, then there is a voltage supply problem.*

3. Probe between the blue wire at the car end and the black wire.

You should get about 2.5V and may vary a little. If you have a frequency

checker you will get about 154KHz here.

4. Place probe between white and black wire. When you press

'connect' on datascan you should see the voltage on this wire temporarily

change. This indicates that the computer is transmitting data to the car.

5. Place the probe between the yellow and black wire and do the same

thing. This indicates that the ECU is transmitting data back.

If all this works, then it appears the cable is fine, otherwise let

me know what stage doesn't work.

Jerry

No the check light does need to be hooked up....the blaZt cable only has 5 wires....

Not to ask the obvios .....Are you sure you have power?

The next step is to follow this procedure ...it will determine if the wiring is correct and help you identify if DATA is flowing......

Use a volt meeter

1. plug the CABLE into the car. Turn ignition on

2. Probe between red and black wire. You should get about 12V. If

not, then there is a voltage supply problem.*

3. Probe between the blue wire at the car end and the black wire.

You should get about 2.5V and may vary a little. If you have a frequency

checker you will get about 154KHz here.

4. Place probe between white and black wire. When you press

'connect' on datascan you should see the voltage on this wire temporarily

change. This indicates that the computer is transmitting data to the car.

5. Place the probe between the yellow and black wire and do the same

thing. This indicates that the ECU is transmitting data back.

If all this works, then it appears the cable is fine, otherwise let

me know what stage doesn't work.

Jerry

Okay, the pins are kinda hard to access, but anyway, I got the RPM/Speedo (F5) function to show up, but that's it.

One of the gauges is probably set to a parameter that is not supported by your ECU. Try reviewing the gauge selections under "Setup". Turn the gauges on and off to see if that gets it to work. If you can't find which gauge is causing the problem reset the registry with the following procedure...

• Go to start->Run and type regedit.
  • Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareVB and VBA Program SettingsNDataScan" and delete the whole NDataScan entry.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try running the software again. It will save the default settings to the registry file.

• 2 weeks later...
One of the gauges is probably set to a parameter that is not supported by your ECU. Try reviewing the gauge selections under "Setup". Turn the gauges on and off to see if that gets it to work. If you can't find which gauge is causing the problem reset the registry with the following procedure...

• Go to start->Run and type regedit.
  • Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareVB and VBA Program SettingsNDataScan" and delete the whole NDataScan entry.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try running the software again. It will save the default settings to the registry file.

It finally all worked out, I was able to get it to read everything. I did get an error code 34 (which is the knock sensor/detonation) message. I.E. Mine isn't hooked up.

Now I looked up on TT.net and read that they dropped in a 1 Megaohm Resistor to "trick" the ECU. Will this work on the 2 knock sensors on the RB25DET?