HybridZ

Hybrid Porsche

Guest Stoggs

Guest Stoggs

1ST DISCLAIMER: Now before anyone gets out their flame-thrower, I know that this is Hybrid ZZZZZ, however I appreciate the open-minded people on this forum, and would like to ask about something I've been thinking about.

SR20DET Porsche 944

I've searched the web but couldn’t find anything on this. When someone brings this idea up in another forum, they get flamed for even thinking about using a "peice-of-crap-Nissan-motor" in a Porsche. I was wondering if anyone knows about a sr20det being swapped into a Porsche 944? I love the look of the 944 and the handling characteristics, however, I would like to have an engine that doesn’t cost 10 arms and 20 legs to replace a washer. So naturally, the sr20 came to mind... 4 cylinders, like the Porsche, light weight, TURBOCHARGED, big aftermarket, non-rusting body. So I guess my question is: Do yall think it would be a reasonable option? And do yall think it would cost about as much as swapping one into a 240? I am aware of V8 powered 944's, but not any sr's. I know of a nice 944 with a messed up engine that I would be able to buy.

2ND DISCLAIMER: Yes I know the Porsche engine is very good, yada, yada, yada.

Dude it's an awesome idea, go for it. ♥♥♥♥ the people who are too closed minded to let you do what you want. I saw a hayabusa powered smart car beat out a ferrari in a drag race. If it sounds cool to you, do it. it sure as sh*t sounds cool to me.

Guest Stoggs

Yea, I saw a couple of those v8 914's on Youtube. That one on Ebay must be insanely fast... However the 914 just doesn’t look half as good as the 944 IMO. Also the 944 has a front engine, so that might make things a little different, I would think it would be an easier swap?

944 has a front engine and a rear transmission. Are you talking about replacing it with a front engine and front transmission, or are you talking about somehow adapting the engine and clutch to the Porsche torque tube? I would hope the latter because the former would mean that you would need to adapt in a differential as well.

Personally I'd probably start with a turbo and then stick with one of the LS swap kits that are already available for the 944, or just get a turbo and turn up the boost and chip it. The NA ones aren't fast at all, but they also didn't get a lot of the other goodies that the Turbo ones got like better suspension and brakes, transaxle coolers, etc.

Guest Stoggs

The latter seems like the best idea. Do you think that getting the v8 conversion kit would cost less? Renegade hybrids sell a kit for $2100 base. That is without the engine of course, so an ls-1 would cost another $2k at least. I’m sure there would also be other expenses. I think I'd prefer sticking with a 4 cylinder, I'm just wondering if it would be a reasonable option, money wise?

I would think that a custom bellhousing conversion piece for an engine that isn't going to be a popular swap is going to be a lot of $$$. I'm not saying not to do it, but I really think you'll be in a very small group of people who have taken the time and effort to put an SR in a 944. I would think the LS swap would be MUCH easier because it has been done before, all the parts are available, etc. The 944 is a pretty heavy car, around 3000 lbs, so the argument for putting a really light engine in it is not as strong as it would be for a lighter vehicle, in my opinion.

Yea, I saw a couple of those v8 914's on Youtube. That one on Ebay must be insanely fast... However the 914 just doesn’t look half as good as the 944 IMO. Also the 944 has a front engine, so that might make things a little different, I would think it would be an easier swap?

I'm dumb.. I knew the difference really..