HybridZ

LT1 Vette, or F-body?

I am new here, and don't even have a Z yet, but am looking at one this weekend, and want to put a Chevy LT1, or LS1 V8 in her. Are there any pro's or cons with going with one from a Vette rather than say, a Camaro, or Impalla? Also how tough are the rear ends on the 260Z's. That is what I am looking at this weekend. Any help, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This place is pretty strict about people doing some research on their own before asking basic questions. Things can get rather unplesant otherwise.

Go to the FAQ section and your frequently asked question has been answered. You should also read the rules, a sticky a the top of most forums.

Welcome to the site.

There are definitely pro's and con's based on the donor vehicle. Since you are just starting, make sure you get the JTR book as it will answer a great deal of your initial questions.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

If you want to go LSx, here's another resource for you:

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

Searching on this site will give you ton's of information regarding engine choices, so make sure you find plenty of time to sift through all the information.

First off a LT1 is probably going to be a cheaper and simpler swap, however if you are good as wiring and can find a cheap LS1 then by all means go for it!

I think a Vette LT1 has a different config. with the alternator, AC pump, etc. and causes some fitment problems. I forget which rear end came in the 260z's but your best bet is the R200. If you can get under the car look at the outputs on the diff. If there are five bolts arround each side and has a taller rear cover then it's a R180. If it has no bolts arround the output and has a round-ish rear cover,then it's a R200. Don't let the rear end stop you from buying the car, though. If it has straight frame rails and little rust then go for it. Check the floor pans, frame rails, 'dog legs' behind the doors and any other suspect areas.

Also, don't be afraid to search :2thumbs:

Edit: Man, I need to type faster! There were no responses when I started!

just get a fbody lt1 and call it a day. the caprice lt1 is heavier but cheaper in prices and way lower in hp. you might be better off getting the caprice lt1 and putting on some alloy head later. but it all depends on your plans. i just grabed a caprice lt1 and threw in a lt4 hot cam kit and called it a corvette lt4! hahaha...

One other aspect of the Caprice/Impala SS LT1 is that it does have the iron heads which are heavier and run a slightly lower CR (10:1 vs 10.5:1) but they have been shown to flow about 20% more than the aluminum heads. The iron heads were designed later than the aluminum ones and incorporated improvements. If you can find a 96 or 97 F-body LT1 the heads on those are supposed to be better, but then you run into the OBD-II computer which is slightly more difficult to program than the 94-95 models.

I have a 95 Caprice LT1 in my 240 and did the LT4 hot cam swap with high rev springs, I can say the car is definitely not lacking for HP. I haven't dynoed it yet so can't say exactly what it's putting out but I'm satisfied with it, at least for now.

As for LT1 or LS1, the biggest difference you'll run into is transmission selection and mounting it. The LT1 uses the same mounts and bellhousing pattern as every other first gen SBC out there. This means the mounts are cheap and a known swap, where as the LS1 requires either custom mounts you fab up or those purchased from John's Cars (http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm). I used a GM T5 with my LT1 which is not really an option with the LS1, which leaves the T56 or 4L60E auto. They are heavier and more expensive but also stronger than the T5.

The EFI wiring issues are very similar between the 2 engines and the fuel tank/pump factors are identical.

As you can there are many factors to consider when choosing which LT1 or an LS1, including budget, weight, power output, aftermarket parts availability, etc..

BTW: Welcome to the board and be sure to use the search function, it will answer the huge majority of your questions.

Wheelman

TravRMK - The absolute first thing you need to do is be sure tha car is rust free. If it has much rust you need to pass. A first generation Z needs all the structural integrity it can get to handle the torque of a good V8.

Secondly - is it an early model 260 or a late model? You can tell by the bumpers. Skinny and close to the body is the early model which is structually the same as the 240Z. Fat and standing off the body it's a late model and structurally similar to the 280Z which is heavier and stiffer.

Thirdly - determine how much money you have to spend and what you want to do with it. Plan the whole project first - before you start spending money on things you'll be taking off later.

Fourthly - Drive the car for at least 6 months before you modify anything so you'll know what needs to be done to just fix the car first.

While you're doing all of the above you'll have plenty of time to search this forum, get yourself well educated, and hopefully miss a couple of the thousand or so pitfalls & mistakes the rest of us have made.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh yeah - I grew up in Boise - what part of Idaho are you in?

I am from Pocatello, and Need a V8 Z! I will probably not drive it much as a 6. It will be getting pulled into the shop as soon as it gets home, and disassembled. I would buy one without an engine and tranny as long as the body was in OK shape. I can do body work and paint, so I'm not affraid of a little body work. Does the structural parts of the unibody rust out on these cars?

Oh, and I plan on making this about a two year project, So as not to rush anything, and to do it right the first couple of times at least. I can't seem to get anything right the first time around. But with this forum I hope to be able to minimize the mistakes.

well, since its a 2 year project, you have all the time you need to search and find info you need. ive always been a z fan but barely got my z last year. learned so much on this forum. 1 year past and i have a lt1 t56 swap with wiring and all kinds of little mods done to it on my own. it just takes time to search and find info and stuff you need! 2 year i think, is enough time to learn how to build a healthy street ass kicking z car!