HybridZ

what radiator to use on a 5.0 swap

stangracr

well, i'm still using the Z's radiator, modified it so the outlet is at the lower driver's side ,it works good until now knowing that i have one hell of an electric fan, i'll have to wait few monthes and see if it cools the engine when the Temp here in Kuwait gets to 50 C.

74_5.0L_Z the griffin 24 x 19 would fit without problems?? because i'm thinking about getting an aluminum one before the summer

• 2 months later...

ok guys, now i need an advice, it's hot as hell here in kuwait, temp is about 45C now and will be rising even more in a couple of weeks.....i need a good good good radiator to cool my engine, any advices on brand and size?

I use the Griffin 24 x 19 in my car with no problems at all, but my car also has a tube front end.

DSC006031.JPG

I used the same engine combination in the previous version of the same car, and used a 280ZX turbo radiator without problems.

PC160005.JPG

I live in Florida where it gets pretty hot (high 90's F) but not nearly as hot as in Kuwait. I never tried to fit the Griffin radiator to the stock radiator core though I believe it will fit with a minimum of fabrication. It is 24" wide and 3" deep. The spacing between the factory frame rails is 25.125".

thanks for the info about the factory frame rail, i needed this info, well i drove my car yesterday at night, temp was about 28C, and the car was running hot even though i didnt stop, would love to have a tube fron end too. BTW what engine mounts are you using? it's amazing how you have an EFI 5.0 and still can use the stock hood

I am using mounts of my own construction. The mounts in the stock sheet metal version used the ford 5.0L rubber motor mounts and some brackets that I made. The new version uses a front plate/mid plate setup. In both versions, the engine is in the same position:

Centered left to right.

Center of crank shaft even with top of frame rail at front of motor.

Harmonic balancer centered above steering rack.

Engine angled with front angled upward at 2.5 degrees.

Drivers side head is 1" from fire wall.

sounds perfect, maybe i'll try to figure out how to fabricate my own engine mount because i dont like how high my engine sits, i have at least 4'' between the head and the firewall :(

i wanna use the stock hood instead of my 4.5'' cowl. and also i think it would be better for traction issues,

about the radiator, i'm leaning toward the griffin 24 x 19 one, we'll see in few days, i might order one from summit, what E Fan are u using?

DSC00209.jpg

here you can see how close my WP pully is to the Efan

With the engine in the same position as mine, the stock 5.0L belt driven fan works great. Since I've angled my radiator, I've gone to an electric fan from a 1995 mustang. The electric fan works well, but a belt driven fan will always cool better.

Looking at your picture, it looks like you dumped the serpentine belt set-up in favor of a v-belt. Did you switch to a forward rotation water pump? If not, that may explain your cooling issue.

The late model (1982 -1993) 5.0L engines use a serpentine belt and a reverse rotation water pump. In 1994 and 1995 they kept the reverse rotation and serpentine, but went to a different timing chain cover and water pump that is 1.5" shorter. In my old set-up, I used the 82-93 water pump. I have since switched to the 95 style to gain clearance for my radiator/hood ducting.

Oh yeah, the more expensive radiator is rated for cooling more horsepower. If in doubt go with the more expensive one. I am using the lesser of the two with no problems, but I am only making ~320 rwhp.

well i'm sorry but i dont get it, what do you mean by a v-belt?? and what is a forward rotation water pump ?

i didnt change a thing, i only have 3 pullies, Cranck, WP and alternator, thats all, my water pump is stock one. my engine comes from a 1989 mustang

In a V-belt system the cross-section of the belt is a V, and all of the accessories (water pump, alternator, power steering pump) rotate the same direction. In a serpentine belt system, the belt is wide and flat. On the Mustang, the water pump is driven off the back of the belt and rotates the opposite direction relative to the crankshaft and alternator. If you look at the following picture (and the one I posted previously) you will see the routing of my serpentine belt.

PICT0026.JPG

If you have the stock 1989 water pump and V-belts, you will not get good water circulation through any radiator, and the car will run hot.

You might be better off spending your money on a serpentine belt system for your car like those offered by March Performance.

f50_351a.jpg

Your other option is to get a water pump and timing chain cover from an early 302. With that option, you will be able to keep the same pulleys that you have.

EDIT: Looking more closely at your picture, it looks like you have serpentine pulleys. It still looks like you are turning the water pump the wrong way.

i'm still confused :(

what shall i do? i know all my pullies rotate the same direction but what can i do about it since i only have 3 pullies? i really dont understand. sorry guys.

i need to understand a thing here, my stock water pump should rotate clockwise or counterclockwise??

You have two options:

First, if you want to stay with a serpentine set-up you will need a fourth pulley to act as an idler. A setup like shown here works great and can be purchased as a complete setup.

f50_351a.jpg

If you want that option visit http://www.marchperf.com.

You could visit a junkyard and piece together a workable set-up. This option is time consuming but generally cheaper.

The other option is to revert to the early style(1968-1975) water pump and timing chain.

i need to understand a thing here, my stock water pump should rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?? on the march site, they have so many kits, which one should be the one i want??!!! can't i just chenge the water pump and get one that roatetrs as my belt does now???

what is a standard rotation?

what is a reverse rotation?

The 302 is a 5.0L. Until 1982 all of the 302/5.0L were v belt forward rotation. After 1982 Ford and most other manufacturers went to the serpentine system. The post 1982 water pumps rotate counter-clockwise(opposite direction of the crank). The earlier 302 rotated clockwise (same direction as the crank). If you get the water pump from fordracingparts/summit you will be able to keep your current belt configuration.

I believe that will also go a long way toward curing your overheating problem.

BTW: What time is it in Kuwait?