HybridZ

Bonding headlight extensions to the fender

Cody 82 ZXT

How did you connect the air dam on and how did you fill in the bumper reliefs in the side of the headlight buckets.

its def. worth it. i would do it again if i had the chance. as far as taking it off. Im just going to hope that i wont need to. :rolleyesg

Yeah all you can do is hope you wont have to. Id be very paranoid if I had to take it off and would only pick the best of the best of the best to help take it off.

How did you connect the air dam on and how did you fill in the bumper reliefs in the side of the headlight buckets.

Yeah all you can do is hope you wont have to. Id be very paranoid if I had to take it off and would only pick the best of the best of the best to help take it off.

The front was blended in by welding in the "indents" where the bumpers use to go. It was as close to flush as i could get it with metal. Its pretty damn close. Then i went though with it and put fiberglass on top of that.

in progress pic.

IMG_0100-1.jpg

I thought of doing something like this with the fender molded with the bucket, but I knew that I would eventually have to take it off. I was going to do the whole clean look with shaving everything. Then I thought about the long run it might not last. It was too late already I was convinced to shave off the door handles and stop it there. Its very clean how you did the front. Thats what makes your Z different from others. Just becareful.

Just make sure you don't let any water or moist get to the back of your fender and the headlight bucket. When this happens it will develope rusts and it doesn't matter how strong is your bondig job is it will rip that apart.

:iagree:

A very good point to pay attention to. I'm being very liberal in the use or POR and/or rhino-lining on anything that could use it.

Guest TeamNissan

Omg I LOVE por, I por just about EVERYTHING, the backs of every panal, the floors, engine bay, undercairage, my hands, my face lol......

Guest Zfixxer

I have a suggestion for bonding fiberglass to metal, there is a product out there called vette bond or smc adheisive. They will attach fiberglass to metal quite nicely especially if you use bolts too, they shouldn't crack if done properly unless you run into something. It works good for bonding fiberglass to itself as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Aziza were you able to completely fill the crack between the headlight bucket and the fender? Was it only one layer of weld all around?

yea it was absolutly flush. i just kept welding until it was flush (or close to it) and then i grinded it away so it was completly flush. Heres a pic in progress.hope this helps

IMG_0054.jpg