HybridZ

Muffler backward?

biohazard53188

Ok, I did my exhaust a couple of months ago (MSA Aluminum Exhaust) and after browsing around on the site ive seen people who have mounted their muffler the opposite way with the same exhaust system as me. For example on my dynomax muffer one side has the inlet (or outlet) in the center and the other side of the muffler has it on the far right. Are mufflers directional? If so how should it be mounted?

Forgot the pics haha

DCP_2562.jpg

I accidentially mounted my muffler backwards too. Ran that way for years. Don't know that it hurts anything. It did allow me to mount the muffler farther up under the rear valence.

When I was in high school the hot ticket on mufflers was to get a Corvair turbo muffler, but to run it backwards. Not sure what that accomplished but we sure thought we were cool telling other people to do that.

Dynomax mufflers are not directional, they have perforated tubes with packing around them. Some mufflers are directional, like Flowmaster for example. Personally I wouldn't use any performance muffler that was directional because so far as I can see they have pretty odd baffling inside and are more about making the exhaust burble or make a particular noise than actually making it flow well. The only thing worse than having a weird maze for the exhaust to go through is putting a cap on the end of the exhaust and forcing it through tiny baffles like a supertrapp.

Dynomax mufflers are not directional, they have perforated tubes with packing around them. Some mufflers are directional, like Flowmaster for example. Personally I wouldn't use any performance muffler that was directional because so far as I can see they have pretty odd baffling inside and are more about making the exhaust burble or make a particular noise than actually making it flow well. The only thing worse than having a weird maze for the exhaust to go through is putting a cap on the end of the exhaust and forcing it through tiny baffles like a supertrapp.

so mine is fine then? Im not missing out on any power or noise? lol

Wait, aren't they like binoculars, when you turn them around they do the opposite. Like, a backwards muffler is an amplifier? LOL J/K. Go to the manufacturers website and try to find a cutaway of the muffler. You should be able to tell if it's directional or not.