HybridZ

first trip down the strip

hello all

i went to redding ,ca. to do a little test and tune on my 74 260 , chevy small block 377 , power glide trans, 26-14-9.5 cheater slicks. i ran a 11.53@ 113 mph . next trip out will be with a 150 nos shot so i hope for the 10.90 club :mrgreen: i had brake problems and my water pump belt was flying off :fmad: . the car ran straight and hard all night to bad my burnouts sucked but then again i saved my tire's:rolleyesg

Congrats on getting it to the track. I know you were having fun! lol

Is it running right and you were 'ON' it the whole way? 113mph sounds a bit off for a 377 in a early 260Z (no offense intended I assure you).

My turbo Neon weighs 3000+ with me in it and only makes 260ish to the wheels and I trap 109. Hence my thinking a much lighter car with a 377 in it should trap more than 4mph over me.

74Zorro - Are you running out of gears on the run? With an 11.5 run I would think your top end should be more in the low 120's. My car ran 110 in the quarter but it took it 12.9 to get there - almost 1.5 seconds slower. With the slicks & the auto I'll bet you have a great 60' (mine was a 2.0) but something seems to be missing at the upper end?

Don't get me wrong - I wish my car was running mid 11's with a shot at the 10's. That's a darn fine time. It just seems that you should have a higher trap speed and the car should be running in the 10's on just the motor.

hello im not sure whats going on but i can say this .im thinking my car is around 2700 or 2800 pounds . i dont think it is running out of gear i was just not thinking a 377 would go over 7000 rpms but i was way wrong on that im going to turn about 7600 rpms next time out.i know the power glide is hurting me cant leave as hard as i want . im almost sure 11.53 @ 113 is dead on for time and speed. my friend ran a 11.60 @ 100 in his 240 z with a 400 small block . phantom i would love to run 10's on motor but i dont think its as easy as just saying it or reading this months hot rod mag. pump gas 377 10.8 to 1 , 3:70 gear and a power glide ,stock everything else wellllllllll a little nos shot and slicks

That sounds pretty quick actually. The MPH directly applies to the HP the engine is putting out. The ET is directly proportional to the TQ the engine is putting out. HP is derived from TQ in a mathematical formula as well. Turbo cars almost always trap higher at the same ET IMO. IMO all motor cars ET quicker at the same MPH as turbo cars do.

I doubt the "glide" is holding you back, but instead the converter you have is holding you back. If you change input shafts and front pumps, you can run a turbo 350/400 tq converter and get you a stall of around 3500 or so. Powerglide input shafts are known for early failure in high hp applications. New ones for a turbo spline are about $100 and a front pump with proper stator shaft and bushed is about $200. Then your launches will be alot harder like you want them to be and it will live.

Also the 1.82 gearsets are not as heavy duty as the 1.76 ratio's are. If you see them side by side you'll understand why that is.