HybridZ

Yet another flare thread (flares for 305's?).....

Guest Gr8White

Just saw this - some additional comments:

I've encountered no problems with rear clearance using the combinations listed:

325/50-15 Drag Radials on 15X10 (28"tall tire!)

315/35-17 Radials (Cheap Sumitomos) on 17X10.5

305/35-18 Toyo RA-1s on 18X 10.

The latter two are Mustang replica wheels with a 3/4" spacer on AZC 5-lug rear brakes, Ground Control coilovers with 12" springs. These are all pretty much temporary acquisitions for fit check and eyeball/measuring purposes.

Hard (430 rwhp stick shifted) launches with the sticky M/T DRs have not produced any interference with the wheel wells, although I did have to trim the YZs' wheel arches to clear.

No extreme cornering or squatting I could produce made interference evident with the other combos.These other combos are ~ 26" tall and have permitted lowering the car without producing any rubbing.

I am still planning on acquiring some CCWs for the 18s - looking at 13" rear, 12" front with the proper backspace to eliminate all spacers before installing the big HP motor. The 305s will go on the front (The YZ front flares are huge) and I will get 335/30s for the rear. I'm sure you guys know this, but larger diameter wheels give you more clearance from the Z's spring perch, so backspace and width can be increased over a smaller diameter wheel. There's loads of room in both directions with the 18X10/305s installed.

I hope this helps - We all see so many threads asking, "what size wheel will fit" and the answer is never simple due to individual hub/brake/strut setups, flares, and etc. The bottom line is that you have to measure your own stuff before buying those expensive wheels/tires.

I'm not trying to stir up any controversy. If Speeder's tire fits a 10inch wheel, great. Good for him for doing the research, and THAT's the point of my comment. Rick's no dummy and I'm SURE he's done the appropriate research. My point in this, and my previous posts is that 9 months down the road someone will hopefully search, read this discussion and then THINK, and do their research.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Good info here. I am currently looking at a Subtle kit even though I will not be doing body work until next year. I have 17 x 8 all the way around right now and plan on mounting 245/35/17 until next year. With the kit, I could send the wheels back and get another inch and a half added and run wider tires.