HybridZ

What should I expect out of this motor?

Just bought an engine. Guy tells me that it should make somehwere near 550hp on motor and should be able to handle a 200hp shot all day long. I payed $1,800 or it. So I feel I got a deal anyways. What do you guys think? Here's what I know about the engine. I know this motor put a 3200 lb Chevy II into the 10.80 range in the 1/4 on motor alone.

406 SBC 13.1 comp

Vortec 64cc heads

Victor Jr. intake manifold

Forged crank

Forged rods

Hyperpunetic pistons

High idle camshaft...I don't know the specs on it yet.

With stock vortech heads, I think 550hp is out of the question....and without forged pistons, I would shy away from nitrous. 13:1 will not run on pump gas....start shopping around for some 110 or 113 octane fuel. Not sure what a high idle cam is...try to get some specs.

Without seeing cam specs, and knowing valve sizes/valve springs rates, etc....it looks like the engine is put together with a bunch of mismatched parts. Before I go anywhere near that C/R, I would have a good set of Brodix or AFR heads on it with 10:1 compression. And unless this motor has a blower on top of it, I don't see how it would push a 3200 lb car much past the 13s, let alone 10s. Vortec heads are good for about 350 HP (on a good day) out of the box. You really need to tear it all down and see exactly what is inside...CC the chambers and ports on the heads, measure the cam (or try to figure out what it is based on the any numbers that might be on it), you need to see what you're dealing with.

With 13:1 C/R and cast pistons, I wouldn't use nitrous at all.

Thanks guys, these are the answers I was looking for. The heads have concerned me greatly on making HP. Will using a good set of aluminum heads hurt me on the nitrous end? If I tore out the pistons and installed some forged ones. Which kind should I use? I woud really like to use that new ZEX plate kit that just came out. I am trying to keep a low profile intake up there hence the reason for the victor jr. intake. If I can get 600hp on nitrous I do belive I can get my Z32 in the 10's.

If you are intent on running Nitrous, I would get some flat top forged pistons...about 10:1 compression. If the block was honed for cast (or hyper) pistons, you'll need to open the bores up a little more for forged pistons. Make sure the rods and crank are up to snuff, and do your homework before buying/building anything. Read some books on performance engine building, talk to the guys at ZEX, and talk to the fast guys at the track to get the names of good machine shops and talk to them. Making 600hp is easy....making it more than once can be difficult if the right combination of parts is not used.

I have to absolutely disagree that vortec heads are only good for 350hp. That said, they're not what you're looking for definitely. Roller cam?

(with vortec heads)

Dyno3.jpg

Same except with AFR 190 heads (I think they've come out with newer ones but just for comparisons sake)

Dyno4.jpg

According to the flow charts I have, both heads peak at 500 lift so this should be right on I think

It has 7 domestic engine categories (chevy,ford, buick, olds, etc) and 14 foreign engine categories including 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 datsun engines, lambo, mercedes, VW..... The only real problem you run into is not having the flow charts for heads you want to try and not having all the info on the cam. Regardless, it's a good tool to use if you're getting started so you kinda know what changes do what.

http://search.ebay.com/desktop-dyno_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

As for the comment on hyper pistons not taking 200shot of NOS.. that's wrong .. I have those pistons and i now have a 200 shot on my car thats not jetting that is actual dyno at the wheels more power.. we have had 400 shot on hyper pistons.... and not for 1 run so far i am 4 .. 10 lbs bottle's into this ... the secret i was told with nitrous is take away the timing .. a nos knock with timing melts pistons .. without the timing it melts a plug.. seems to work so far.. and we don't even wanna talk about the 200 shot i had on the cast pistons.. tune the car right and ya can run most anything .. for how long that is the real question .. and who said vortec heads are only good for 350 hp .. my motor came with those heads and started with 425 or so at the crank.But hey thats just my 2 cents.. and that engine dyno program is not that close to real world.. but it is fun to play with .. just don't build a motor based on one of those ya will be unhappy with the results

The difference between forged and hyper pistons is forgiveness. The hypers will go boom if you even think about a lean spot or detonation. Vortech heads are pretty good but not so much on a big cubic inch small block.

AFR, Brodix, Dart Pro 1's, Victor Jr.'s or Canfields will work great but only if your budget allows! Good luck with her.

280zwitha383

can you explain how you post that dyno chart from DD 2000 software??????

NP. This will work with anything on your (whole) screen. Hit Ctrl and Prt Scrn at the same time. This puts the image in your clipboard (same as clicking copy on text or pictures). Then open up a program (which can edit pictures) and paste it into it. I use powerpoint or OpenOffice's Impress. With Powerpoint I think you click File, save as, then in the save as box it says extension which you change to JPG. In Impress you simply right click the image and hit save as picture. Open Office is a free (yes free) alternative to Microsoft Office. You can keep all of your files the same format as Microsoft Office if you'd like. Plus the controls are very similar also. If that doesn't work tell me and I'll make sure about the Powerpoint. If you drag the picture out a little bit on powerpoint it will save the image bigger than the ones I posted which are marginal.

You could also do this in Paint for that matter. Just make sure you change the extension to jpg when you save it otherwise it will save the image as a bitmap and it will be a few mb's as opposed to 100kb or so.

Before you go pulling it apart, I would run it and see how it does. Are you certain you aren't mistaken about that compression ratio though?

:iagree: Thats not a bad deal, you got what you paid for, i dont see 550 but i do see 450 easy. You never know till you hit the dyno.

NP. This will work with anything on your (whole) screen. Hit Ctrl and Prt Scrn at the same time. This puts the image in your clipboard (same as clicking copy on text or pictures). Then open up a program (which can edit pictures) and paste it into it. I use powerpoint or OpenOffice's Impress. With Powerpoint I think you click File, save as, then in the save as box it says extension which you change to JPG. In Impress you simply right click the image and hit save as picture. Open Office is a free (yes free) alternative to Microsoft Office. You can keep all of your files the same format as Microsoft Office if you'd like. Plus the controls are very similar also. If that doesn't work tell me and I'll make sure about the Powerpoint. If you drag the picture out a little bit on powerpoint it will save the image bigger than the ones I posted which are marginal.

You could also do this in Paint for that matter. Just make sure you change the extension to jpg when you save it otherwise it will save the image as a bitmap and it will be a few mb's as opposed to 100kb or so.

There is a program called SnagIt that will let you do screen captures of just a particular window.