HybridZ

Rusted 1978 280z worth $200.00

JSM

I can get my hands on this fairly rusted Z. Is it worth the purchase to part it out?

I'm not 100% if the frame rails are salvageable, but if not it gets chopped if i get it.

Thoughts on parts I could sell to recoop my 200 and have some extra parts left over for me?

It's bone stock w/5 speed. I'm assuming R200 rear end. I'm thinking of offering $150.00.

For $150 you could probably recoup most of the money, especially if the interior panels are in good shape. Scraping a Zcar in my area would net you about $150-175, but parting it would leave you with some extra parts. And how rusty is fairly rusty?

On a side note. I payed $200 for a rusty old stock '77 3 years ago. I cleaned all the electrical connections, put a floor mat in the passenger floor board(or lack there of), put $150 in tires, $40 in brake parts, used an old battery, $40 in fluids and then got it legal. I drove that thing for 2 years without a problem. I just sold that same car for $600 in January. It's now getting run into the ground, but it was a RUSTY old Zcar. It actually won "Not So Best in Show" at a Nissan dealership Zcar show. Thats how bad it was.

Don't dismiss an old rusty Z car. Depending on the amount of rust, they can be a good DD and pull some good mpg numbers.

I'm just about done parting out a 77 280Z and I was suprised with the results and I let some good parts go cheap. My neighbor claimed the R200 and clutch pedals for his project at not cost and a fellow HybridZ member got the front cross member and rear stub axles at no cost then I sold the following:

Hood $30, Hood vents $20, Fender $25, Headlight buckets $25 & $10, Door panels $20, Window regulators $22 & $16, Gas tank $10, Engine $150 minus the fuel injection, Driveline $20, Rear drums [to a 510 owner] $20, grill $76, tailights $40, Gauges $25 = $500+ [your results may vary]

We had many calls about the trans and I believe if it was a 5-speed I could have got $75-$100.

Ebay & Craigslist were great, Ebay for the small stuff and Craigslist for the bulky items. Beyond the profit [provided I put no value on my time] I was able to dismantle a Z and I learned quite a bit which should help on my 260 project.

Provided you have a little space and an understanding wife/gf and your landlord won't freak out - go fot it!

Thanks guys for the advice. One of the main reasons I want it is to learn more about Fuel Injection. Hard part is I'll have to leave it outside. My wife won't like parking her 28K van for my 150.00 dollar car outside. I think I agree w/ her on this one.