HybridZ

rusty engine block salvageable?

Guest B250HO

Guest B250HO

I found a 350 in an old shed at my farm. Casting # 3932386. It appears to have forged rods and a forged crank. The oil pan is rusted out the bottom and there is rust on the crank and rod caps. There is also rust on one bank of cylinders because the head had been removed. I cannot see any pitting, and the rest of the block was covered in grease so there is factory paint on the outside still. I would really like to salvage the forged crank, rods, and 4 bolt main block- will it be possible if they are rusty? This summer I should be able to take the engine home and pull it apart but I just want to know if I'm beating a dead horse. Thanks for the help.

any suggestions for cleaning would be much appreciated.

From the casting numbers it is a 1969, 350 c.i. block. You need to find out why someone trashed it, pull the oil pan and look at the crank/rods for broken parts. Spray everything down with WD 40 and let it set for a day, spray the tops of the pistons also. The pistons are probably "frozen" in the cylinders, the steel rings rust into the bores. keep soaking the tops of the pistons with WD to loosen the rust.

Once apart you can see is it is usable or not, good luck, remember "no one ever said it was easy"