HybridZ

Question for guys who completely re-wired

OK, I've got all the old wiring out of the car (well for the most part anyway) and I've got the new wiring harness (mini 20 from http://www.ezwiring.com/) and now have come to my question.

Is it a good idea to use the stock connectors? With maybe an inch or so of the original wiring used to tap into the new harness. I want to be able to plug and unplug everything as if it were stock, but if I use the original connectors, would that be defeating the purpose of all the fresh new wiring if it's just going through the old connectors?

Just looking for some insight from those who know better.....

I did what you are talking about when I first went MSII. cut off the end of the harness and connected them to the db37 connector.

I had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. Injector clips misfired the injectors. Poor connections everywhere.

I got pissed 1 day and broke out the wire cutters and cut the harness in half. Now I gotta fix it. I oredred a bunch of stuff. weather pac connectors, injector clips all new wire and terminals. heat shrink tubing by the mile and soldered every crimp connector. Put all of it in fiberglass expandable wire sheith. Man does it look impressive and clean. I get. You really made the wire harness? looks factory.

Everything works excellent and was worth all the work.

Old wires and connectoers mean bad connections and stressed wires.

my $.02 worth. tc.

using the same harness myself but on my 280zx, pain in the ass if you wanna keep stock connectors. best bet im my case is to use all new switches. but i am in no way stock anything anymore. if you do do it solder every connection but test to make sure you connected the right wires to what (stock side). anyhow i got halfway trying then i quit and decide to redo the entire system even down to all the switches

Marcus:

I just finished rewiring the Z using an Autowire harness. I got in touch with a guy over on Classic Zcar, userid Zs-ondabrain and he hooked me up with original-type connectors and clips. It helped with making things look original fit.

FWIW....

Bryan

Dat240zg

Just about finished a complete redesigned rewire of my 280ZX. Have reused the steering column switch plugs, left a couple of inches of old wire and crimped new wires to them. Most of the rest has been done using universal type connectors.

From those that know, properly crimped connexions are far superior to soldered joints, the latter can corrode over time due to chemicals in the solder. But you need a proper ratchet type crimper.

Question:

I have used relays and plugs out of BMWs for starter circuits and whatnot in the past, and when getting that stuff from the boneyard, I realized that it was a piece of cake to use a tiny flathead screwdriver (almost eyeglass screwdriver proportions) to bend back the retaining tab inside the relay plugs, and remove the original wire terminal. Is it not possible to do something similar with the plugs from the original Z wiring, then replace the actual metal terminals inside the plastic plug?