HybridZ

The VG30 Hot Rod needs your help!!!

Alf

Well since I built my headers, I just couldn't wait any longer, so I decided to try and fire up the engine. After I assembled massive tentacles of wires from the 84 300ZX donor car, I got the motor to crank. It would not fire, so I checked for spark, spark is good and strong. I figured it must be fuel related, since the valve timing checked out okay and I never touched the ignition timing. I know the pump was working because I had it pumping from a gas can. So then, I squirted some gas into the throttle body and it burped a little. So I don't think I'm getting fuel because the injectors aren't working. I know I plugged everything in right, I marked it when I disasembled it all. The fuel injection harness is a little toasted so I'm kind of suspecting that. So what could cause no fuel? Wiring, computer, sensors? I'm lost, I'm not a fuel injection guy. Help if you can. Thanks.

Alf

Back again. I still havn't figured out the fuel problem, I tried a different regulator, but it still didn't work. I realized that the pump does not squirt any fuel through the return line even when the engine is cranking, is that normal?

Anyway, in the mean time I've been trimming down the Z31 harness for use on the hot rod and I have quite a pile going, but I have a few questions.

This car is only going to have the bare essentials when finished.

headlights

tail lights, brake, blinkers

licence plate light

electric fuel pump

ignition

and whatever the engine needs to run

So my question is, what is all of this stuff, and do I need it?

hot_rod_813_1.jpg

This box connects to the computer harness and lives under the battery tray in a Z31.

hot_rod_812_1.jpg

I have no idea what this is, I think it's usually in the engine compartment.

hot_rod_810_1.jpg

hot_rod_811_1.jpg

These things are in the wiring heading back to the tail lights and fuel pump, the one has some sort of circuit board in it.

hot_rod_809_1.jpg

This white plastic box is near the tail lights.

SO do I need any of this junk?

I have no idea what this is, I think it's usually in the engine compartment.

hot_rod_812_1.jpg

That is the coil ignitor and the car will not run without it.

P.S. Keep up the awesome work, reading all those comments on that other site you posted reminds me of just how arrogant and ignorant people can be. I think the engine choice is fantastic and it would be killer with a set of downdrafts or a huge turbo hanging of the side.

Can you hear/feel the injectors clicking when you try to start it?

OR

You can get an injector noid light to check if they are getting a pulse from the ECU.

Mario

I checked that tonight, I feel no click, I checked different ones, but none clicked. The relay isn't clicking either so I think that may be the problem.

Thanks for the help and compliments.

stab in the dark, but I believe the ECU should be getting signal that you are cranking, and the injecotrs might not fire without that signal....

go to carfiche.com and find an FSM for your ZX if they have it, and if you dont already.

EDIT

I just read that thread over on the HAMB forum.. WHAT a JOKE!!! if you ask me, I couldnt think of a BETTER motor to use for a hot rod, andd THAT has been my first thought throughout reading about your entire project!! small, lightweight, powerful (power potential? you could link these guys to the thread here listing all the IMSA GTP engine parts for sale)

Those guys, even the ones being nice and saying "awesome work but not my first choice for a power plant" REALLY need to get rid of the Ostrich Syndrome and realize that there are more motors out there than just old fashioned american iron!!! you ask me, all of THEIR motors are antiquated piles of junk, and they should be leaving them behind as such!! they whined about tradition, the hot rodder's "tradition" was to go with the latest and greatest they got their hands on. To ME, more power out of a lighter weight, smaller engine is better, regardless of who the manufacturer is....

ugh...

END EDIT

• 3 weeks later...

you have concluded that you have no fuel being delivered to the cylinders.. I presume you do have good fuel pressure and flow? If so, and the injectors still arent firing, then you need to determine why THAT is the case. all the "tidbits" you could need would be found in the FSM, if you have one. If not try to find one on carfiche.com and read the chapter on the fuel injection system. That should outline how to proceed in your situation. I would suspect the injector dropping resistor if it has one? Honestly, the V-6 is an aliean to me, I am just trying to get you pointed in the right direction.

• 1 month later...