HybridZ

Good thing i took it to a shop

typhoone

Well, just got off the phone with the shop the Z is at, and I found out I don't have A boost leak, I have approximately 6 or 7. all of which I never would have found. PLUS my fuel rail has a leak. I am not too worried about the rail, since I want to get a new one anyway, but now I know why my car was giving me so much hell. right now my bill sits at $180, and the lady is looking for the boots now. but yeah, I will keep you guys updated.

-typhoone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after they told me that, they just called me again and said that they have yet to find the parts....but here is the thing. I thought it might be around $500, $600 max....well, they just said that so far they haven't found the parts BUT even if they do find them all it would run upwards of $1000 before i ever got it running right.........i don't know what to do.....i want to punch something...but it wouldn't help. any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

I have another Z, a 1986 one without a motor in it....should i just pull the one from the 85 and put it in the 86???? should i just say screw it and burn the thing to the ground? please help..

Talk to the mechanics. Make them point out each and every boost leak they've found. Then take the car home and start replacing all of the rotten hoses or gaskets that are causing the leaks by yourself. It'll take more time of course, but you'll get to know your engine better and save a ton of money in the process. Keep in mind that there's always plenty of help on here if you get in a jam.

How would swapping the motor with the boost leaks to another car help?

Get a documented estimate from them before making a decision. A phone conversation will not stand up in court if there is any reason it might go there plus you want to know exactly what you'd be paying for before the work starts.

What shape is the rest of the car in?

Are you capable of doing the work yourself? It might be an option to pay the shop for the diagnostic work and then do the repair work yourself.

Wheelman

because it isn't the motor that is the problem, it is the lines leading to the motor. There isn't a motor in my 86, but all the lines are still there. but, in retrospec those lines probably have problems too. It is the boots and stuff like that, at least that is my understanding. as long as i can see the problem i can fix the problem, but i don't have a garage, i don't even have a car port. the car is in pretty good condition, there is little to no rust.

If you're not mechanically inclined shops are great for pointing out the problem, but DO NOT let them do the work. Take it home and fix it yourself. Much cheaper and you can learn about your car the right way instead of just driving it.

With a Z it's more than a car, it's an obsession that begins with a look and thrives under the hood.

that is very true. i have a feeling i will be getting them to write out a list and taking some pictures tomorrow since i am done with school at 4:30 then have to be at work at 5 today. this just really makes me mad. i really want to make this car great, but it just wants to cause problems.... :'-( i feel like it is one of my Ex's who always wanted to start arguements when i just wanted to make her happy..... lol

You know, when I bought my 81ZX I bought it as a daily driver. That car gave me hell for the first year I owned it. It must have blown every coolant line under the hood, over heated 3 or 4 times, cracked and dry rotted vacuum lines, leaking intake/exhaust manifold gasket, gunked up BCDD, bad alternator, bad battery, leaking seals and more. But, it was what I paid for. It's a 26 year old sports car in good mechanical and exterior condition for $2000. Now I have all that stuff fixed and aside from occassional maintenance it's been the best damned car I could ask for. It was well worth the effort and I learned a few things along the way. Sure it has an occassional annoyance that pops up every now and then, but it's to be expected. I love the car, I love the drive and love the work. If your heart is in it and you have the passion to learn what you need to know then stick with it. If it's just a neat sports car you bought to make heads turn on the street and play with, you might want to go find a Honda Civic in better condition. Don't take that the wrong way, but it's a fact. A Z will cost you time, money, sweat and blood before it finds a groove and keeps you going.

that's very true, and i realize that it will take work to get it where i want it, i just wasn't expecting to have to work on it so much before i could even work on it to get it where i want it. lol. just the other day i talked to a guy who i am going to get an intercooler, gutted plenum, and electronic boost controller from. i am still going to get them, but until i get my car to make boost again they are just going to be pretty paper weights. lol.

p.s.- the only honda i would ever drive is an S2000......civic's should only be had with a side of green beans or corn....cause that is the only place rice belongs...

Well, you're already intent on working on it so why not bring it home and git er' dun...

If you're putting a new plenum, intercooler and boost controller in I'd go with the new stuff as it will probably solve your problem. The intercooler is going to require some new piping and boots to the intake anyway, which is where it sounds like you're loosing boost at. Give it a go, and remember, if the Factory Service Manual and the Search link don't solve it, we can usually come up with something after playing 20 questions and pictionary.

lol, y'all have made me feel alot better, i was about to hit someone/something/somecar when they told me that, but hey, ♥♥♥♥ happens....guess i need to make sure i have some memory on my camera....lol.....and a good writing utencil. the guy i am getting the intercooler from is giving me the piping that he used for it, and with the plenum i am getting the 60mm throttle body...so yay me. lol

If you own an old car you simply have to be prepared to work on it.

And I think it is extremely bad form to have the shop do all the troubleshooting for you without having them do the work. You are messing with how these people put food on the table. They are charging you for their time and experience as much as for the actual repair.

If you aren't capable or knowledgeable enough to do the work (including the troubleshooting) yourself, then maybe you should serve up some rice and beans. Civics are pretty damn reliable transportation. You can use one to get to and from work while you learn how to work on the Z.

If I were you I would put off buying all the go fast goodies and use that money to get your car in good mechanical shape. If the intake stuff is rotten, then what kind of shape is the rest of the car in?

Plus, all that new intake stuff will have to be replaced when you put on the go fast stuff. So in effect won't you be paying to do the same repairs twice?

I would pay them to fix it, but 1000 to replace some damn boots, clamps, etc...kiss my ass. if the motor was blown I would understand 1000 to fix it....but not for vaccum leaks. trust me, if I had smoker I would have tested it myself, but since I don't I can't. don't worry, I still have to pay them for the diagnostics. I ain't taking food out of there mouths, but I ain't giving them the shirt off my back either.

this is truly priceless. I went to the shop, and this is what the invoice says, keep in mind that I am already planning on getting a new fuel rail that Jason is making.

inlet hose to turbo leaking- outlet hoses leaking in 3 places, rubber boots missing on turbo, MAF not reading(duh, nothing is getting to it, lol) fuel rail leaking.

the only even semi-difficult problem is I have to remove a motor mount to get to one of the places that needs a boot...I can fix that with a jack and a little patience....so someone please add up these numbers and tell me what equation can be used to equal $1000??? I am getting a new rail with new injectors to supply for more hp, and I am getting a new intake so I will just put the rail on when I put the intake on..... So, anyone got any boots I can buy from you? the lady said she was having problems finding them around here.

-Typhoone

p.s.- finding that out made my day SOO much better. lol

Sounds like you took it to NissTech! lol

I dont know where you are in SC, but if you have future problems and cant figure it out, call this guy - 828-287-0159. Ask for Little Charlie, he does good repairs very cheap. Cheap as in he pulled my motor from my z31, pulled the crank, had it turned, reinstalled with new bearing for like 600 and some change. Changed my timing belt and put in a new clutch for 700 and some change. Good guy that does good work cheap.