HybridZ

Total cost of RB25 swap?

Im sure this has been discussed and i searched and read a little bit but couldnt get a straight answer.

I bought a 280Z for $2000 and a RB25/tranny/ecu/wiring harness/etc. for $1300. So my total right now is at $3300. How much will I have to spend to get the engine in the car and running? I know i need custom MM and driveshaft but do i have to get a new rearend? What else is neccesary to get the car driving and how much more am I looking at including the labor.

Sorry again if this topic has been over killed.

Have somebody do it for you or do it yourself? If paying somebody else I'd guess around $5000 + easy.

Rearend is an R-200 you'll be fine.

You may want to start seaching and doing a LOT of reading around here. The RB swap is not one of the more popular ones albeit one of the more interesting ones.

I get the feeling you're trying to have a car built for you because you got a "bug" to have a fast Z. I can tell you it's not going to be cheap and my 5K estimate may be a bit on the LOW side.

Also read the Hybirdz rules

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=58&a=2

Read this:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111526

Well I would guess around another 4 grand or more to get everything correctly. There are some corners you can cut if you do work yourself.

I would say 1000 to 2000 for the labor to do the install maybe more for the wiring splice in and that also depends on who you use but most people charge for custom work.

Need the oil pan, can't remember what that was.

Motor mounts will run you round 300 or so dollars I think, can get those in a kit too.

Drive shaft is around 300 bucks, least mine was.

Then you had better do the timing belt, water pump and tensioners if you don't want to be like me and have to tear the entire front end off the motor to do it inside the car.

I used the 260Z rear end that came with the car.

Figure in about 500 for misc stuff that you may either break or need to complete and there you have it. Getting the motor and transmission is just the start.

Good luck and anyone on here feel free to add or subtract to my estimate if you remember stuff because I don't remember half my swap.

I plan on doing most of it myself. Thats the fun part right? Plus my dads a mechanic and owns his own shop so thats not really a problem. Im mainly worried about the custom stuff and the wiring looks scary. Where do i find a place that can make a custom DS and MM's? The oil pan is that from the 200rs or whatever its called. Where would i have to go to find that.

Yes I have a lot of research to do LOL.

I figured all the costs for this swap i another thread. I used an Rb25de so it might be a little cheaper than if you go with the rb25det. This should include all the cost with the swap and make it bolt in. IE the wireing harness, mounts, driveshaft, ect. Here is the link use it well.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118608

Here it is

I have done some, well a lot of searching into swapping an RB25x motor into an S30. I want to go N/A mainly because I want daily reliability and it keeps the cost down. I'm not saying that the rb25det isn't reliable, but when you put down more power things will break faster and the n/a swap is much less of a head ache. Anyway back to the point of this post. While searching though the archives for information I found countless threads like "how much does it cost to swap in a RB motor?" I got tired of wading through all that and decided to put together an answer to that question.

This guide assumes your car body itself has no critical rust or stress cracks and your "new" RB motor and transmission don't need work or a rebuild.

This guide should cover everything you need to make you RB N/A swap plug and play-ish.

-Mounts both transmission and motor from http://www.shouri-motorsports.com/ will run you 600.00 USD but that includes the rb20 oil pan and pickup for the motor to work in a Z.

Drive shaft- If you buy the mounts and oil pan from Shouri motor sports they will sell you a custom drive shaft for the RBX swap for 400 USD in place of the 500 USD they usually charge.

Wiring- Send your harness to http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/projects and for 450 USD they will modify the harness you sent them to work with your RB x motor. It looks to be a very nice set-up.

The RB motor it self- Check eBay, Shouri, neo tech imports, Vildini motor sport, Venus, JGY customs, or sr20store.com depending on what motor you want and from where will cost you anywhere from 1200 to 6000.

i.e. the rb25de can be had for 1200 USD while the rb26dett will run 6000 plus.

Gauges Your stock gauges wont work so you might as well buy a full set of auto meter gauges and adapters. This could run you anywhere from 100 to several hundred if you decide to replace all your gauges.

Fuel pump Your stock datsun pump just isn't up to the task of supplying a RB x motor so that will cost you 65 USD for a used Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump anywhere to 165 for a new one.

Belts, hoses, fluids, plug wires, spark plugs, ect will run you lets say 200 USD just to keep it even.

Installation by a shop (This is not necessary but if you have the money and want the job done now) will run you 1200 USD. That is what I was quoted by a shop in Va. to install an RB25det into a 280z. So the rb25de should be a little cheaper.

Exhaust- For any motor swap you will more than likely need a custom exhaust system. This can be made of anything from galvanized, crunch bent, 2 inch pipes to mandrel bent, stainless steel, 3 inch pipes, it's your choice. Let's assume you want the middle of the road exhaust system. Galvanized steel, mandrel bent and a 2.5 inch diameter. Depending on your location this can run 300 USD to 500 USD when done properly.

Total cost including installation and assuming you buy an RB25de and that you bought everything new is 4715.:-P

I'm currently doing this project right now, I brought the motor with tranny, harness and everythg for 2700CAD, brought Z31 oilpan, pickup, o ring for around 250CAD, tomel timing belt 149CAD, N1waterbump 150CAD, FMIC with piping and gready intake manifold 890CAD, 3 row Rad around 210CAD, rebuild clutch 500CAD, and Rad hoses 80CAD. which makes the total around 5000CAD and plus installation labour...thats around 2500 - 3000 CAD. so you might be looking around less then 9000. I hope this will give you a forcast of how much you are willing to spend. Take care;)

I figured all the costs for this swap i another thread. I used an Rb25de so it might be a little cheaper than if you go with the rb25det. This should include all the cost with the swap and make it bolt in. IE the wireing harness, mounts, driveshaft, ect. Here is the link use it well.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118608

Here it is

I have done some, well a lot of searching into swapping an RB25x motor into an S30. I want to go N/A mainly because I want daily reliability and it keeps the cost down. I'm not saying that the rb25det isn't reliable, but when you put down more power things will break faster and the n/a swap is much less of a head ache. Anyway back to the point of this post. While searching though the archives for information I found countless threads like "how much does it cost to swap in a RB motor?" I got tired of wading through all that and decided to put together an answer to that question.

This guide assumes your car body itself has no critical rust or stress cracks and your "new" RB motor and transmission don't need work or a rebuild.

This guide should cover everything you need to make you RB N/A swap plug and play-ish.

-Mounts both transmission and motor from http://www.shouri-motorsports.com/ will run you 600.00 USD but that includes the rb20 oil pan and pickup for the motor to work in a Z.

Drive shaft- If you buy the mounts and oil pan from Shouri motor sports they will sell you a custom drive shaft for the RBX swap for 400 USD in place of the 500 USD they usually charge.

Wiring- Send your harness to http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/projects and for 450 USD they will modify the harness you sent them to work with your RB x motor. It looks to be a very nice set-up.

The RB motor it self- Check eBay, Shouri, neo tech imports, Vildini motor sport, Venus, JGY customs, or sr20store.com depending on what motor you want and from where will cost you anywhere from 1200 to 6000.

i.e. the rb25de can be had for 1200 USD while the rb26dett will run 6000 plus.

Gauges Your stock gauges wont work so you might as well buy a full set of auto meter gauges and adapters. This could run you anywhere from 100 to several hundred if you decide to replace all your gauges.

Fuel pump Your stock datsun pump just isn't up to the task of supplying a RB x motor so that will cost you 65 USD for a used Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump anywhere to 165 for a new one.

Belts, hoses, fluids, plug wires, spark plugs, ect will run you lets say 200 USD just to keep it even.

Installation by a shop (This is not necessary but if you have the money and want the job done now) will run you 1200 USD. That is what I was quoted by a shop in Va. to install an RB25det into a 280z. So the rb25de should be a little cheaper.

Exhaust- For any motor swap you will more than likely need a custom exhaust system. This can be made of anything from galvanized, crunch bent, 2 inch pipes to mandrel bent, stainless steel, 3 inch pipes, it's your choice. Let's assume you want the middle of the road exhaust system. Galvanized steel, mandrel bent and a 2.5 inch diameter. Depending on your location this can run 300 USD to 500 USD when done properly.

Total cost including installation and assuming you buy an RB25de and that you bought everything new is 4715.:-P

Thank you so much that answers pretty much everything. For teh record its a RB25DET. Right now I have a SRT4 and its in the process of being parted out so by the end of this week i should be able to afford to buy all that stuff and what ever else I need to get this project moving.

I posted some of my numbers a while back - RB26 though...

Rough estimates only - but here we go...

R32 Rb26 and 5 speed RWD tranny - $1750

R34 long block $5500

Turbo rebuilds $1800

Microtech LT12S, Wide band O2, coil pack driver - $2500

Drive Shaft $400

Motor mounts $250

Gasket set $240

N1 water pump $225

Timing Belt $30

Intercooler and piping $400

Exhaust $650

Injectors $550

fuel pump(s), fuel filter, serge tank, pressure reg, 240Z tank mod - $1000

Cage in car $2500

New guages - tack, speedo & boost $450

New Clutch, flywheel $500

oil cooler and plumbing - $200

oil pan, pickup, oil pan mods coatings - $240

other stuff - lsd, R31 turbo half shafts, adjustable T/C rods, 280Z stub axles (modified for R31T half shafts)

CAD$

q

$2000 RB25DET Motor

$100 Starter and Misc Brackets

$600 GReddy Plenum

$400 ATI Damper

$225 Fidanza Flywheel

$300 Clutch

$350 HKS Manifold and Coating

$350 Apex Power FC

$120 Power FC Commander

$250 Radiator

$150 Intercooler

$250 Driveshaft

$100 Silicone Couplings and T-Bolt Clamps

$150 Wastegate

$100 Fuel Pump

$30 Fuel Sump

$50 Nismo Thermostat

$125 Nismo Quick Shifter

$10 Stainless Steel Clutch Line

$200 Nismo N1 Oil Pump

$125 Nismo N1 Water Pump

$150 Oil Pan

$10 Oil Pickup

$450 Autometer Gauges

$40 New Fuel Pump Sender

$60 Nismo Timing Belt

$6945

$500 Misc Hoses, Bolts, Belts, Sealants, Fuses, Fluids, Oils...

A lot more for the motor that I can't remember

$7445

$600 Sparco Seats

$200 Sparco Harnesses

$600 Cusco Roll Cage

$500 Wheels

$350 Tires

$300 Front Brakes

$500 Rear Brakes

$700 Suspension

$150 Optima Battery

$600 Extra Wheels