HybridZ

HEADS UP!! ZXR!! wing on ebay cheapo !

frank280zx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Whaletail-rear-spoiler-Fits-Datsun-240-260-280-Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140711QQihZ017QQitemZ270106086453QQrdZ1

Heads up a rare find!! he claimes s30 but this is what it looks like OEM ZXR!!! wing!!

not in the best shape.. but not bad either, judging the pictures that is.

whaletail1a.jpg

That was definately the OEM ZXR wing, although the action is done with I took a look at it and found it amusing that he claims it is for an S30, one cursory look and you can see that there is no place for the lock push button to fit through the wing. I also noticed that someone has drilled four holes through the wing on the leading edge in order to bolt it to thier car. The wing actualy has a metal plate on the bottom with holes in it already designed for sheet metal screws to be run through the hatch and into the wing.

When I was running that wing (280ZXR) on my S30 I had to make a template from a piece of cardboard in order to correctly transfer the hole locations to my hatch. After drilling the holes I had to use a hole saw to cut 1" holes in the inner frame of the hatch so I could screw in the sheet metal scres to hold the wing on and last but not least being on an S30 since there is no way to leave your hatch release button on the hatch with the wing installed I used a door lock/unlock selinoid hooked to the latch mechanism to open my rear hatch. Just remembered one more thing, the wing adds enough weight to the hatch that your gas tubes will not hold your hatch open, you will need a stick of some sort to keep your hatch from dropping on you when you are digging around in the back.

The above information is for whoever won that auction and anyone else who may be thinking about that wing or type of wing one thier S30.

Dragonfly

Thanks for the info, however, if you were to replace the gas shocks on the hatch with new ones, it would probably hold it up just fine. I replaced mine with new ones and it'll just about smack you in the chin on its way up if you're not careful, and it's not all that easy to get it moving on the way down. The newer shocks are ALOT stronger. I guess I'll find out eventually.

the large fiberglass one from msa weighs a ton on the hatch. even with new struts, it doesnt stay up. so its off to the parts store to find ones with more capacity.

use Z32 hatch struts.. and mount them upside down... thats what i have on my car and they hold up my hatch with my ZXR wing pretty nicely

the std z32 struts dont work, so i asked more detail. he said they are from a 92 2+2. the coupe ones are very short it seems. i never thought about using the zxr ones tho. are they any stronger? that wing is lighter weight rubber isnt it?