HybridZ

B&M shifter trans tunnel cut out question

So ive noticed from a few people i know with V8 z cars is they dont like how massive a B&M shifter or Hurst shifter looks in a z car . I somewhat agree as i get the " Man thats a big shifter " at car shows .

Mine doesnt look as big as in some z cars ive seen as my dash is hand made and i shoved or made the dash shorter towards the windshield about 3 inches closer then stock and isnt as tall on the face of the dash .

Could one cut out the top of the trans tunnel say just to the width of the shifter and drop the shifter down the hole and of course have the hole boxed in . Kind of like putting in a fuel cell without any sacrifice to strength . I guess that is the big question strength . .

Ive done measurements on my z and i could lower the shifter enough to where all ya saw was the shifter boot and the chrome trim around the boot . Oh this is for the automatic shifters of course .

Jason

Yes it can be done, I just did it.

Shifter11.jpg

Shifter21.jpg

Notice how much farther in front of the shifter the box has to be made. This allows enough room for the cable bracket that sticks out in front of the shifter without binding the cable. The box is about 2.5" deep x 11" long and 3.5" wide.

I used the stock shifter mounting plate, cut out the middle (where the stock shifter was), and mounted everything back in the stock positions. It sits about 1/16" higher than the stock shifter did, but it's right in the correct place.

Please excuse the carpet and filth in there right now...it'll all get straightened out shortly.

I'll get a few more pics once the carpet, seats & console are put back in place.

Warren

Only problem with the 4 bolt install thing is that it'll allow dirt, grime, road debris and HEAT to come up through the tunnel and ruin the shifter mechanism which is supposed to be kept clean and greased.

Box it in and forget about it.

Only problem with the 4 bolt install thing is that it'll allow dirt, grime, road debris and HEAT to come up through the tunnel and ruin the shifter mechanism which is supposed to be kept clean and greased.

Box it in and forget about it.

ahh ok, thanks for sayin that. better do it properly first up i guess then.

• 2 months later...

I have a Hurst (B&M Mega shifter rip-off) that is sunken into the tranny tunnle, and one thing that I have noticed and not heard anybody else comment on is the fact that my exhaust (2 1/2 duals) heats the shifter up to the point that it is uncomfotably hot to the touch. If you box it in, make sure that it is insulated and totally boxed in. Maybe wrap your exhaust, or something.

I did exactly that. The exhaust directly underneath the shifter is wrapped with header wrap and I built an aluminum box out of thin sheet metal underneath the shifter. On the inside of the sheet metal I used something like dynamat with the metal foil covering. Sorry, I forgot the manufacturers name. It works fine, but if I were to do it again I would have made the box airtight as well. It took a while for the exhaust paint to stop smoking into the cabin. Then again, you are supposed to cure the paint first.