HybridZ

VQ30DET in my 91 Z32 N/A?

SwapMag1c

been searching for sumone who has completed this swap but find people who would like to. Any pointers would be appreciated. i've been gathering parts for last few months. My z is a 5 Spd Manual also.

so far i have the VQ30DET, Z/G 6 Speed Tranny, Z/G Headers, 550cc and 850cc injectors (need cleaning & deciding which to use) and Z/G Drive Shaft.

parts i'm getting next will be Megasquirt 2, T67 Turbo (undecided trim and A/R), 38mm or 40mm wastegate, FMIC and misc parts.

2579603_7_full.jpg

2579603_6_full.jpg

2579603_20_full.jpg

2579603_22_full.jpg

Probably the only reaso you can't find peopple who have done this swap is becaues other than possible weight reduction, there is no good reason to remove a VG30DE and replace it with a VQ. you MUSt have gotten a GREAT deal on that engine & tranny.

although I have no help for you, I am wondering what made you go with the VQ?

The Z32 is a bit front heavy, particularly the two seater, so I'd look at locating the engine as far back as possible. Unless its going to be a cruiser.

The VQ is a bit of an unknown as far as high output durability and reliability goes, I considered using one but could find no solid info on them.

The VQ30DE has been up to 500+ whp on stock internals in a Maxima, he probably could have squeezed even a little more out of it. Modified... the sky is the limit. The VQ35DE has proven to be a huge performer when heavily built being in the current fastest Nissan on the drag strip. It may be aluminum, but its not weak, which is sadly a very common misconception.

So far the VQ has outperformed both the VG and RB. They put a turbo version of the VQ in the Skyline R34 race cars and it did much better than the RB versions did (lighter, lower CoG, mid-engine, able to make just as much power though I don't think they had to). I see the new VQ35HR easily being able to do even better than the current VQ35DE, which will make for some interesting Nissan's to say the least.

there is no good reason to remove a VG30DE and replace it with a VQ

There's actually no good reason not to replace it with a VQ. The VQ is easily 200+ lbs. lighter than the VG30DE(TT), couple that with easily being able to match a VG in output and you simply have a faster car that can now likely even handle better through the corners and everything. One of my only complaints about the VQ30 is the lack of variable valve timing. I think that really hurt its N/A performance but, with boost it won't matter near as much.

Another downside to the VQ is the Z33 6-speed. It is considered relatively weak and on top of that the gear ratios aren't really good for boost IMO. They're very good for a rev happy N/A but when you start boosting it the broad torque the engine will make won't match the gears well. Not to even mention the 6th gear is a higher ratio than the 5th gear of the Z32 box.

The 350Z comes with a 3.54 rear differential, which definitely helps. I would avoid going any higher than that... I'd definitely limit it to the TTZ 3.69 R230. Any higher and it'll be annoying to drive on the highway (high revs in 6th gear, poor fuel economy, gears too short to even work with, you'll constantly be shifting gears).

To the original poster, differential wise I'd get that N/A diff. out of there asap and go for a 90-93 Q45 differential. Its an R200 like the stock N/A diff. so it will bolt right in but with 3.54 gears like the 350Z. You will have to use the Q45 axles (which are stronger, same as the TT axles) and you'll need to change the wheel bearings for the Q45 or TT's to match the axles. You'll get much better ratios out of the 6-speed with a stronger rear axle setup to boot.

The much lower weight claims for the VQ compared with the VG are interesting, maybe I'm thick but 200 pounds is a huge difference when two similar capacity twin cam V6 engines are being compared. They both have to basically have the same number and type of components made mostly from similar materials.

The iron block of a VG weighs ~50kg or ~110 pounds, the VQ's aluminium block is not going to be that much lighter seeing it would incorporate more metal to retain stiffness.

My VG30DET is having all the heavy stock add on bits like exterior brackets replaced with lighter fabricated ones, that will help. Chain drive at the front is a plus for the VQ though, hate that VG timing belt :)

well, i bought it for my S14 project that i was doing but it was WAY too much of a project. i bought this Z for a pretty good price and wanted to drop the VQ in there since it was turbo and the motor is less complicated and less miles.VG motor looks like a dinosoar complared to the VQ. the non turbo VQ30DE motors are known to withstand 500HP+ on stock injternals and that high compression, just thing of a block actually built for boost. also the the thought of a large single turbo (T67 Maybe?) VQ30DET Z sounds really good. Siluty has done a bang up job in his S14.....

http://www.engineswaptech.com/forums/thread/1352.aspx

how many twin turbo Z's do you see putting 340 rwhp @ 10 psi and 379 @12psi?

i thought q45's were r230's and j30's were r200's?

For some reason it got confused a lot, not sure why. I know for sure the 90-93 Q's have R200's. The later models might have got an R230, but I'm not sure.

I know a bare VQ30DE weighs about 180 lbs and a VQ35DE about 175. With everything minus tranny, I think its around 330 lbs from what I've heard. The VG30DETT with accessories is right over 500 lbs. from what I can find. One guy weighed his in at 550 but didn't mentioned with or without accessories, I'd say with. That's 220 lbs right there.

Its amazing what those DOHC heads did to the VG30DE(TT) as far as weight goes. The VG30ET weighs in at right under 400 lbs. The VG30E(T) was, at the time it was made, claimed to be the lightest V6 in the world.

Other things to consider on the weight differences between the VQ and VG are the internals. Nissan designed the VQ, especially the VQ35, to be as light weight overall as possible including internally. I know in the 35 the rods are quite small, I'm sure the VQ30's rods are smaller than the VG's as well. They also did some pretty cool stuff like hollow cams to reduce weight even more.

Its funny you mention hating the timing belt. I actually kind of prefer them over timing chains... though, I'm used to the VG30E(T) timing belt setup which looks much more simple than the DE(TT)... I've not messed with one of those yet and am not sure I want to. :lol: I definitely dislike the chains though. Heavier, can't slide them off like you can a belt, and they actually say for racing/high performance engines belts are really better as they don't transmit harmful harmonics into the valve train like chains do... I've not really looked into that very much yet though.

Just did some searching around and found some very interesting info... it looks like the VQ weighs around the same, possibly even less, than the SR20DET. I'm still trying to confirm though.

Its good that results are now coming through on the VQ's reliability and durability which of course helps the choices decision making process. Now I'd go for the VQ over the VG30DETT but the JDM VG30DET is another question, RB30ET engines perform great with a GT35R turbo and there is no reason why the VG30DET should not do so too.

Twin turbo engines carry a lot of extra weight, including a dual exhaust system, modern BB turbos like the GT35R don't have a lag problem, unless you are used to NA truck engines :)

• 1 year later...

Hey mate i am looking at doing the same thing. In Perth, australia we have 2 drift cars and 1 drag car all pushing massive numbers on unopened engines. I was listning to the drift car below smashing the limiter the whole way around the track!! reliability is there i have seen it with my own eyes (not internet crud). This in a 180sx (240 in your country).

www.vq30det.com

Picture044.jpg