HybridZ

Enough Trans tunnel clearancing for a T56?

I haven't pulled the LT1/T56 out of the Firebird yet but have been prepping the engine bay on the 76 280Z so I can't do any test fitting yet.

I attached some pictures of what I removed from the tunnel so far and I would like to weld up some sheetmetal plates to where the tunnel ears used to be but I though I better ask first If I removed enough of the ears first? I would like to keep some of the existing bracing if possible for extra strength.

what do you guys think?

Thanks

Greg

DSCN1449s_thumb.JPG

DSCN1450s_thumb.jpg

DSCN1451s_thumb.JPG

DSCN1454s_thumb.JPG

I used a hammer a little to make room for the back up light switch, but I couldn't tell exacly where it was going to be, so when we were putting the tranny in, I used a big pry bar with a rag wrapped around the sharp end to "dent" the tunnel. It bent quite easily and I got the dent just where it needed to be.

Mike

Thanks guys for the responses, I will go ahead and weld some sheetmetal to close the brace where it is open and fill in the ear openings or just seam fill the edges of the ear openings. M1Noel, thanks for the suggestion with a crow bar on clearincing the reverse light. I had my tunnel shaping stone shown in the 4th pic ready to bang away but I like your idea much better.:cool::icon14:

Yeah I lucked out on this car, it is pretty damm solid, except for some sheetmetal work around the battery tray and on the passenger side hood hinge area there was no rot, Very small surface stuff along the passenger side frame rails but no holes. It came with Baddog type rail reinforcements already welded in.

Greg

Gvincent looks like everything is coming along well. Tranny tunnel does look good and the rev switch shouldn't be a problem. With my switch I am going to cut down the plastic so I can make a 90 degree turn off of it. I also shaved down a few of the fins on the tranny.

Keep up the work!

Thanks Clive, You are still way ahead of me. I have been watching your updates and it looks good!

I still need to buy a bunch of stuff, for biggies I need Headers, Shocks, Shortened Driveshaft, Power Brute or an CLSD R-200, LT! programming, and an exhaust system.

Hopefully by end of July (:wink:)

Greg

I have been debating this for awhile, the Power brute can be had for around $500 (I missed he group Buy last November!) and I have been keeping an eye out for CLSD's which have been going for $400-$650 recently on Ebay but Can be found in Junk Yards for around $350-$450.

I think the Q45 would be nice but the parts to put it in aren't

It will be one of the last things I install so I will keep shopping.