HybridZ

ID Header Please

DCZ

This looks like one of the headers that MSA sells but I can't get a positive ID from searching here. Anyone know which one it is? Is this a NISMO part?

HEADER2.JPG

Anyone have experience with this part? Do you think I would get any performance gain on an otherwise stock F54/P79/SU motor? Can you use the stock Nissan gasket with this part?

And the BIG question - What would YOU pay for this part?

Pace Setter? Yuk! Everything I've read about those has been bad. That's why I'm trying to figure out what this one is. I found a pic that "sorta" looks like this one and is identified as a "Nismo" which I have read is a good quality header.

I've also read (Motorsport) that you can't use the stock gasket with their "competition" header, so that's why I asked about the gasket. I usually destroy any gasket I try to remove :-)

• 1 year later...

sadly, I have this header. If it is cheap, go for it... I bought mine new, and there was no pipe for the egr attachment, so we had to custom fab some. Also it requires special washers that come with it, so I don't know if it will work without them. From factory they claim up to a 6 horsepower gain.... wish I wouldn't have spent so much money on six horsepower, but they sound is alot better. :-) Also the gaskett that comes with it isn't good, you should get a felpro one. The paint doesn't last more than 10 minutes, so maybe you should paint it with header paint, and wrap it, although if you wrap it it will be EXTREAMELY hard to put on, especially if you do not pull the motor. But your life will be so much easier if you can pull the motor, I had a heck of a time. Also remember you can get to the top overlapping bold by removing the plate on the intake manifold, wish I woulda known that, but it only helps if you are not replacing the gasket. Hope I helped. :-)

Good God - don't EVER wrap a header for a street car. The rust will eat it so quickly it will have your head spinning. Moisture builds up in the wrap from heating and cooling cycles and there's nowhere for it to go. It just sits in the header wrap......in contact with your header.......all the time......causing rust.

BAD IDEA - ceramic coat if you want protection....

The old Pacesetters were crap. The flange that mounts to the head was paper thin, and would warp after several heat cycles and cause an exhaust leak. The newer ones that MSA is selling have a considerably thicker flange that works pretty well. I have one on my 78 daily driver and it never has leaked - and it's been on the car since '96.

I believe the washers he is referring to are the thick ones that go at the bottom set of bolts on the head. You can reuse the ones from the factory manifold just fine. You shouldn't have to have any additional/special hardware to mount those headers in place of a stock manifold. Reuse what's there.

I had that exact header at one point. It had a nice thick header flange and I sold it to one of our members here.

As a side note, it would probably flow better with a less restrictive y-pipe on it. It funnels two good sized pipes down to one 2" opening.

old post :wc:

As a side note, it would probably flow better with a less restrictive y-pipe on it. It funnels two good sized pipes down to one 2" opening.

I *think* MSA sells two different Y-pipes: one for "stock exhaust systems" and one for their aftermarket jobs. I had a header similar to this one, but no Y-pipe, and when we ordered my twice pipes we also ordered the Y-pipe that properly married the twice pipes system it starts as a single pipe, 2 1/2" I think) to my header. In the end, I would up with a ~12 inch long "h-pipe" or collector that eliminated any scavenging loss from using "twice pipes" (a poorly named exhaust system product, the MSA Twice Pipes.. but a good sound nevertheless.)

My point was, you *should* be able to order a Y-pipe for that header that (in short length, nowhere NEAR as long as the OP's Y-pipe) dumps out as one single 2 1/2" pipe.

The old one I have, had about a 1 to 1-1/2 opening at the Y pipe where the 2 pipes met!!!!

So we cut the Y up to the point of 21/2in of my new exught and massaged it together then welded it up.

SOOO lucky we found that otherwise, it would have been worse then stock.

He is right about the header wrap, and I think you do need the washers... or at least you "should" use them... They make up for the space differance between the flange of the header since it is a differant size... It goes on the top bolts of the header where it overlaps with the intake. :-)