HybridZ

OEM Seats with Side Airbags: Any problems installing them in early Z's?

dat240zg

I've just gotten back from the Mazda dealer and was sitting in an RX8. I'm considering a set of RX8 seats (takeouts) but am curious about the side airbags.

Is it possible for the airbags to fire if they have been disconnected (from the stock harness)?

Bryan

Dat240zg

It is generally considered a bad idea to use airbags that are still charged (having the explosive in them) and aren't properly hooked up to their triggering system. Without the sensor system, airbags can do weird things, especially in an accident. If you get the seats, just remove the air bag and deployment mechanism, putting the cover back in place. Just be VERY careful doing so and make sure you have the PROPER manual with specific instructions for dissarming/removing the unit. Don't just dive in and try to get the thing out. I can't stress enough that airbags have a high explosive charge in them, and CAN go off while being worked on. Sorry to kinda yell, but it's a lot like not smoking around gas fumes.