HybridZ

Voltage Regulator

CalifaThugz

Hey whats up. It is sort of a noob question but I can't find on google nor here where the voltage regulator is at I changed my alternator about a month or so ago and it said I had to replace the voltage regulator at the same time but I didn't have extra 42.99 dollars at the time and when I had just put the car on it charged and stuff but now ever since I was putting new bulbs on the rear the volts gauge just shut off.:icon50: None of the dash board lights work and the blinkers are ssslllooowww :x. So I was wonder if it might be that... Oh when ever I press on the gas pedal the light on the volts gauge turns on and thats it. So I'm wonder if it might be a circuit or something or the volt regulator. Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks!

-Victor S.

IIRC, the voltage regulator on a 280 is built in the alternator (or am I thinking ZX?). OTOH, I know that my 240 had an external regulator that was on the P side wheel well. If it's external, it's a little rectangular-shaped box mounted on the wheel well.

You might want to try and make sure that ALL your ground connections are clean and have good contact.

Good luck!

I havent had that prob on a z but i had a voltage reg go out on a 68 jeepster. The alternator turns into a welder. the wiering literally goes up in flames. the volt reg holds the volts down. the alt puts out 14+ volts. more at higher rpms. the voltage reg keeps that to the 14 all the time. I have gone through 3 alts on my 77 and havent replaced the reg once. everything works fine. when the alt is starting ro go out the lights are going to be dim and the volt meter is only going to be reading 12 or so. when the red light went on in my car the alt took a s#%t. I dont think its the volt reg. I could be wrong though. hope i helped.

Consider upgrading to a internally regulated alternator ... that will eleminate the need for the voltage regulator and you can use the cost of the new voltage regulator towards your new alternator. Z-specialties make a great bolt on alternator 105 and 120 amp ... but the ZX is a great second and cheaper bolt on alternator that is internaly regulated, at 60 ro 65amps IIRC. Use the search feature to find the how to's for this upgrade/project.

yes the VR for the 77 is behind and underneath the metal frame that the fusable links attach to, also check your fuse in the fuse box and also your fusable links, all 4 they will cause some stupid problems, if they are not tight and have a good connection! And ditto on the ZX internal alt coversion, done 2 and well pleased!