HybridZ

just need some basic info. I searched i promise.

OK, i have searched and searched and learned a lot about both the sbc 350 swap and sbc motors in general. except for some minor stuff. I'm getting some stuff together to do the swap some time this summer. I have a 1974 260z. I will be doing a carbed setup. Just keep in mind that I'm not new to cars!!!! I will be buying the JTR book shortly. I will be using the JTR Mounting kit as well

My Questions are for Gen I 5.7L sbc 350s both two and four bolt:

-To change a fuel injected 350 to carbed, it requires and new water pump, intake manifold to accept the carb, and a V-belt correct?

-Is the 350 from a Silverado the same as from a Camaro or a Van? except for the heads I'm assuming?

-I know there are horse power differences but this is due to the head selection correct?

-Is there any benefit to using either a Truck/Van/Car for the swap like more reusable parts to put toward the Z? (not including horsepower)

I'm searching for a donor car/truck to get the motor out of. that's why i am asking this info. I know there is not a "perfect donor car" for this project from searching the archives. I'm just looking for a vehicle to get the motor, mounts, radiator, etc out of. I'm going to source the tranny seperate.

Thanks in advance for the info. I look forward to joining the ranks of 350Z's this summer.

Sorry if these are common sense questions with sbc.

My Questions are for Gen I 5.7L sbc 350s both two and four bolt:

-To change a fuel injected 350 to carbed, it requires and new water pump, intake manifold to accept the carb, and a V-belt correct?

-Is the 350 from a Silverado the same as from a Camaro or a Van? except for the heads I'm assuming?

-I know there are horse power differences but this is due to the head selection correct?

-Is there any benefit to using either a Truck/Van/Car for the swap like more reusable parts to put toward the Z? (not including horsepower)

If you want a carb'd engine then just buy a carb'd engine. There is no point to buy a fuel injected SBC if you want a carb'd on, it will just cost more than a carb'd one(stock) and you'll just end up stripping all the parts that you paid extra for off of it.

There could be lots of difference between each engine depending on what it came out of as far as internal components are consirned. They will all bolt up with the JTR set up though. The trucks engines are usually cammed different than a car so that there is more low end torque so this wouldn't be ideal for a 2800lbs car(dont really need the low end torque to get this small of a car moving). If your going to keep the engine stock for a while then find a motor out of a camaro or similar type of car it will be better suited for a car that you want to go fast!

On a GEN 1 SBC thats carb'd I can't imagine there is a ton of useful stuff from a donor vehicle, its not like an LS1/LT1 swap where having a donor vehicle with all the electronics would be useful.

Guy

Okay as far as searching goes here is what I got when I searched your last question about engine casting or identification numbers:

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=889667

Here’s another from about four weeks ago:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120232&highlight=Engine+identification

And yet one more:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=67914&highlight=Engine+identification

There are plenty of items here so search man search ;)